Now I'm confused...

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
I have been clearing my swamp for more than three weeks now. I have every confidence that this method works as I have brought my pool from black to sparkly last year using BBB and a LOT of guidance. I have been at a light, light green stage for about a week now and have been waiting patiently (or not) to turn the corner. I haven't had a CC reading of more than 0.5 for about a week. Yesterday, I replaced a non-working PSI gauge as I decided it was time to add some Fiber Clear to my sand filter. Just for curiosity's sake, I performed the Overnight Test even though the pool remains green, and I PASSED it. Could something else be going on or is it possible to pass an overnight test while the water remains green?

9PM - FC 23, CC 0.5, TC 23.5
530AM - FC 23, CC 0.5, TC 23.5

TA - 130
CYA - 50
pH - 7.4

It is a light milky green. It is municipal water and it has been in the pool for three years. I have never tested for metals, but I do know that we have some iron in the water around here. I do have some slight staining on the ladder rails that are under the water line, I took care of them last year at the beginning of the season and didn't have any problems after that. I intend to remove them and clean them again before we actually go swimming. This pool was a mess, it wasn't covered over the winter, is surrounded by trees that dumped at least a ton of their leaves in it... it is not an understatement to say it appeared black at the beginning of this process. I am pleased with my progress, albeit a little slow for my liking, just perplexed that I passed the Overnight Test.

That sounds like it is algae. The algae is all dead, or at least nearly all dead, at this point. The pool is still full of dead algae, and it just takes the filter some time to filter it all out. Make sure you run the pump 24/7. The water clarity should improve visibly each day. If it doesn't something is going wrong with your filter. It might be as simple as the filter needing to be backwashed, or there might be something more complex going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.