Does MPS lower CC & FC?

No MPS does not directly affect the FC level. If CC is above zero MPS can eliminate some/most of the CC, thereby reducing chlorine consumption and indirectly raising the FC level. Keep in mind that MPS will read as CC on the test, so it might appear to raise CC when it really hasn't. If you use it frequently there is a special reagent you can get to eliminate MPS interference.

MPS is never needed in outdoor pools, as chlorine and sunlight take care of everything. But MPS can be very useful in indoor pools where it helps take out the CC that chlorine needs sunlight to deal with.

Thanks Jason, I know about the special test and have one, just wondering what it would do to the FC level, going through a bit of a problem here, was out of town much of this week and the chlorine injection pump stopped working while I was away. Now have a algae bloom and a pool party scheduled for tomorrow, CC of 3.5 last night at 6 pm, added 3 pounds of MPS, at 11 pm I had raised FC to 11.5 after adding 10 gallons of 6% bleach, this morning it is down to 7.5 (CYA much less than 20, was at 25 or so last week), off to buy some dichlor and bleach now.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.