AA treatment for almost two weeks now

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
I have been doing the AA treatment for almost two weeks now. I think the stains finally lifted after using lots of AA and then lots of extra strength stain free. It turned cloudy so I'm not positive. I'm trying to clear up the cloudiness now. I am using the culater product and it is turning yellow/orange in color. I'm going to now add metal free for the first time. How about using a cationic polymer clarifier? I have a bottle from previous owner? Thanks.

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

It is still cloudy, but a lot better. CC is 3.0. Was the cloudiness algae? I thought it was just from the aa treatment. I have been trying to keep my FC level at 4 and not go very high with it because the aa instructions warns against high FC levels. So is it okay to shock now. Is it advised based on CC of 3.0? It has been 16 days since I started the aa process.

The AA treatment itself does not cloud the water. However, when the FC is zero, algae can start to grow. Usually that takes about a day before the water starts to look dull and then gets cloudier before a full-fledged algae bloom appears. So in your case, adding a metal sequestrant and then careful shocking of the water (lowering the pH first since you don't want the pH to rise too much when shocking) would have killed off the algae which would have then cleared by filtration. The clarifier might have slightly sped up that process, but if something is going to get filtered out anyway, clarifiers don't make it go any faster. Clarifiers are only helpful for dissolved compounds/particles that are too small to get caught in the filter. A cartridge or DE filter will usually catch the larger sized algae cells as well as algae clumps. Sand filters don't do as well, but the algae will often clump up and get caught in such filters as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.