Puck Chlorine With No CYA?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
Is it available? I filled the pool and opened it yesterday. I put a couple stabilized pucks in on purpose to start getting the CYA up. The pucks are convenient, especially when we go on vacation. Are they sold w/o the stabilizer, or does putting them in puck form require the stabilizer to be added?

No, unfortunately there aren't any pucks that dissolve slowly and don't have any CYA in them. There are only a couple of ways to make chlorine stable enough to transport and none of them work that way.

I keep my CYA level close to the minimum (30ppm) so that when we leave for a week or so I can use pucks to keep the pool clean, winterizing the pool at the end of the year removes enough water that it all balances out in the end. Pucks aren't evil if used responsibly, I keep a small 5 puck supply handy for just those scenarios and an adjustable floater dispenser to leave in the skimmer basket that I load up when we are gone.

Works great.

Search around tfp - someone once said they had luck filling a two liter bottle (I think) and letting the chlorine slowly leak out to get through a couple days of being gone. You'll have to do the search for the particulars (don't rely on my memory). I just tried a quick search and couldn't find it -- anyone remember that thread? Seems to me it was an early post in terms of soon after the site started.

I ran into that thread while contemplating the Liquidator purchase - a couple people posted that open bleach bottles at the bottom of the pool were effective at keeping the pool chlorinated during a vacation. The downside was you couldn't swim with them in the pool - not a problem if you're not there. I'd imagine that it's not a precise thing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.