8 foot Gator in Pool

So I was googling for pool area alarms (any suggestions welcome) and an odd result came up. It was this video of an 8 foot alligator in a pool in Florida.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIKuCBjy3Q

Sorry if this is old news to everyone, but I searched the forum first and saw no references to alligators.

Makes me glad to live up in Indiana where its too cold for gators, plenty of chipmunks in the pool though. 4 chipmunks and the dog twice in the first week after opening. They must have been too used crossing the loop-loc cover.

I was sitting on my deck and watched 2 ducks come in for a landing right into my neighbors pool, I thought that was odd, albeit pretty good accuracy to hit such a small area.
I'd stick with the ducks.

Sat out on the deck one night last fall - it was dark - and watched two small objects waddle across the back yard and make a bee-line to the pool. I recognized that waddle as racoons!! :evil: They went for the shallow end where the steps are - they obviously have been there before. So they start washing thier paws in the water - I'm ok with that - the pool is sanitized - no harm. WELL - one of the little buggers steps INTO the pool and starts swimming around !! :grrrr: That's where I drew the line! I jumped up and yelled "Get the 'ell outa my pool!!". He did ... and they both scampered along the deck to a nearby tree and shimmied up out of sight.
Haven't seen them since !! :whoot:

Oh yeah - we live on a bayou - haven't seen any gators yet. :mrgreen:

I find muddy Raccoon footprints on my top step all the time. I haven;t caught them going for a swim. Now that I think about it there a potential for them to do some serious damage to the liner with their claws. :|

I have to borrow my dads dog for a few nights to spook the little buggers.

Thankful we decided to put in an enclosure, although I did find a black snake swimming in the pool last fall. Since moving in 5 years ago I've killed 3 pygmy rattlesnakes (1 bit our dog), 2 juvenile (30" long) moccasins, and 1 scarlet snake (mistaken for coral snake). So much for living in a large suburban community.

BTW, the juvenile moccasins look nothing like the adult ones.

While testing the water last week, I watched an ant carrying half a dead ant across the deck. It was headed straight toward the pool. I wondered if he'd fall in or not so I continued watching. To my surprise, he got right up to the edge and dropped the dead ant into the pool then proceeded to walk away. Hopefully they don't make a habit of filling my pool with dead bugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.