mustard algae

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I think I have mustard algae. Yellow bottom, brushes off, water looks green. I have kept my pool at shock level for two days. It is no longer grass green but a dull color with yellowish bottom. I keep reading mustard algae requires a different shock level is that true or is 15 good enough. I know bleach is a cheaper alternative but starting to get pricey.

Sure it's not just pollen??? Does it stir up really easy, disappear off the bottom, and remain in suspension? Gonna need a full set of test numbers to help diagnose for you.

bring the FC up to around 20, brush the yellow spots as often as you can, run pump 24/7 and I'll bet you have a clear pool very soon.

Importantly, keep your FC up higher than you have been for the rest of the season. There is no sanitizer cheaper than bleach, I believe. Sure, you can split fine hairs and maybe find a deal but bleach is the best overall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.