air in my system

Oct 23, 2007
south carolina
I have in-ground pool with a sta rite cartridge filter system, that now has air bubbles showing up in the pump basket ( you can see them through the clear lid ), and I get air bubbles coming out of the inlets in the pool. There is a purge valve at the top of the filter to get rid of air, but the air bubbles keep coming back. any idea where the air might be getting into the system?

Rob's got the two most common places. Your leak is on the suction side of the system....somewhere between the impeller and the skimmers. Just start systematically eliminating every possibility (including low water in the skimmer) and work toward the pump....you'll find it.

I cured one last summer where the cover O-ring on the Jandy diverter valve that switches between the skimmers and the main drain broke. A few drops coming out when I turned the pump off was the giveaway. Carefully check your above-ground suction-side plumbing for drips right after you shut off the pump.

I just super-glued the O-ring together and then put in a new one this Spring.

Thank you one and all for your responses, no problems at the skimmer IE low water, and the lid in the pump basket is seated properly, my cleaner is a pressure side type. I am beginning to think that I may have a problem in the pvc under ground from the main drain or the skimmer basket, I sure hope not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.