Cleaning a dimpled-bottom pool

Jun 10, 2011
New pool owner and new forum member (thanks, cokomo!)

My pool bottom is extremely deep-dimpled. I'm guessing when the previous home owner installed the pool they spread the liner by walking on it on dry, unpacked sand. After not being opened last summer, there is a good amount of dirt still settling to the bottom of the pool, catching in those dimples. Trying to vacuum just stirs it all back up and no longer really catches any of it.

Any suggestions on how to get it really clean?

Welcome to TFP!

There isn't any easy way to completely clean an uneven bottom. Moving the vacuum very very slowly, so as to not stir anything up, helps. Or you can stir it all up and the filter will get it eventually, though that often takes a large number of attempts as much of it will settle back down before it gets filtered out.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

There isn't any easy way to completely clean an uneven bottom. Moving the vacuum very very slowly, so as to not stir anything up, helps. Or you can stir it all up and the filter will get it eventually, though that often takes a large number of attempts as much of it will settle back down before it gets filtered out.
Our pool is the same way - the liner is very wrinkled and baseball sized dimples on the bottom. I let the vacuum get what it can first then I make sure the filter is running while the kids are in it. I put on a skimmer sock as others recommended while the kids are in and it is catching an amazing amount of dirt each time.

As Jason said, perhaps having a soft, long bristled brush would be helpful in reaching into the dimples and stirring things up. You will not find that in a pool store but probably at HD/Lowe's.

Also, I'm not sure if a suction side cleaner like a Kreepy Krawly might not be the most "pliable" to conform to the bottom. You may have one like that already

I have a dimpled bottom. I live in an area where a lot of fine dust gets blown into the pool I use my barracuda Ranger to get as much as it will (an auto vac like that may or may not work for you, depending on how bad your dimples are.) After that I use a manual vac, going slowly so as not to stir up the dust too much, and I will even just use the hose with out a vacuum head while I'm in the pool. Just lay the hose on its side, not straight up and down if you do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.