Polaris 360 new user, new pool owner, new convert to SWG

docxo

Jun 10, 2011
Carbondale, Illinois
Basic question. There are 2 returns on one side of the pool and 1 on the opposite side that is for plugging in the vacuum. I believe this is what they call the "dedicated return line." When we screw in the polaris 360, there is not enough pressure to make it go.

1. Are we supposed to be plugging up the 2 return lines on the opposite sides of the pool? will this create adequate pressure?
2. Do I need to make sure the SWG is off whenever I run the Polaris 360?

30,000 gal/40x22/concrete bottom with stainless steel sides/Circupool RJ series SWG/Polaris 360

Welcome to TFP!

For a setup like that, there is usually a valve at the equipment pad that allows you to control how much of the water flow goes to the Polaris and how much goes to the usual returns. Often you need to shift a fair bit of the water flow towards the polaris to get it to work correctly. The details vary with every pool.

@maxepr thanks. How do I know what the pressures are on and off? When I put my hand over the return, it is weak compared to the opposite side so maybe it needs to be shifted like jason mentioned.

we are having the valves replaced because they are so difficult to turn that the plastic handles broke off last summer and we can only turn them using a channel locks, but I will take a look and see if I can shift it.

There should be valve(s) after the filter heading to the return lines. I have 2 valves after the filter & SWG. The first goes to the return intended for the cleaner (also a Polaris 360); the other goes to the other 3 returns. I normally open the cleaner return valve all the way and close the other value by about a quarter so that I maintain the same filter pressure as before (which is 10 psi on my filter gauge).

If you post a picture of your equipment pad it might help.

Good luck - Taz

ok here's a pic. so i see the front valves--2 skimmers and main drain. Then there is a valve in the back after the filter/SWG that appears to go to 3 pipes (I actually do have 4 returns, not 3 as I previously stated). There is a black machine to the side that is NOT running. should it be? it has a separate breaker that is OFF. It goes to another pipe in the ground.

We put new eyeballs on the 2 main returns and that actually helped the 360 to function for a while, then it quit. I realized the little filter at the plug in site was clogged and it started working again, but it's not covering as much ground as I would like. It is most definitely cleaning things up, though, just missing a lot of areas. I tinkered with the little nub to change directions but it still hangs out in the same areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

also, the back valve is leaking.

Hopefully a expert comes by but there are two possibilities.

1. The small pump receiving water below the SWG that goes out to the dedicated cleaner return (or a water feature ???). It seems that if that isn't running, you will not get much flow to that return. Also, the single valve heading on the last return line that could be used to restrict the return flow permitting more water to be pulled into the booster pump.

2. The small pump on the right is setup to run a vacuum type cleaner. It draws from the pool and dumps it in after the SWG. Someone might have wanted to put in a vacumn cleaner and took one of the return lines and jury-rigged it. In that case, one of the returns isn't. But you would think you would have wanted it to go through the filter so this doesn't make sense.

Sorry - I'm not sure I've added anything you didn't already know. Anyone else have any ideas?

So today I had to shut off the pump because the water level sank below the skimmers overnight. I guess the leak was more significant than I realized. I'm ready to close it and give up because nothing works and our pool guy never answers his phone and/or is completely incapable of explaining things.

Ok the pool guy came and fixed the leaking valve. He also backwashed the filter again so the pressures are running more between 10-15 psi. My only remaining question is if it would be safe to run the booster pump with the polaris 360--I will call the company to confirm on Monday. It's a shame I didn't realize that was a booster pump or I would have just gotten the 380.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.