Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
I've been eyeing up the Jenn-Air outdoor grill at my Sam's Club, and was wondering if anyone else has purchased one and/or have any reviews on it.

With my pool project finally completed, I felt it was time to upgrade the grill to go with it!!

Here is a link to it:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... ction=push

I bought A Jenn-Air grill at Lowes a few years ago; for the record, it isn't this exact grill, though.

First of all, it isn't REALLY a Jenn-Air; it's a Chinese made nexgrill that is rebranded as a Jenn-Air. I actually knew that when I purchased it, but I figured 1) How much rocket science can there be to engineering and building a grille and 2) It's a great value for a beautiful grill.

Long story short, it was the worst grill I've ever tried to use. While I loved the look of it, it truly couldn't cook anything beyond a hot dog - it just wouldn't put out enough heat. If you can see it at Sams, stand behind it and look at the size of the open space between the hood and the firebox - it's huge! All the heat simply goes right out of that huge opening.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Weber, or some other quality gas grill. The Weber Genesis isn't as pretty, but is outstanding and versatile. I have a Summit, which is beautiful, but truly cooks no better than my old Genesis did. Best thing about Weber is that 10 years down the road, I can still get parts for it if I'm so inclined... and they grill under intense high heat, or cook indirectly at more moderate heat equally well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info on the Jenn-Air. What you say about this being a Chinese product re-branded as Jenn-Air makes sense as to why I couldn't even find grills on the Jenn-Air website.

So now that I've accepted this and abandoned my ideas of buying one of these, I'm now looking at other brands. I'm curious what others might think of the Master Forge brand sold at Lowes. I just saw their outdoor kitchen and was quite impressed, but then came home and started some Internet searching and found some disappointing info regarding a recall due to fires caused by melting gas hoses. Apparently Master Forge is yet another poorly designed/built Chinese product.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

Any other grill suggestions? (still considering the Weber!!)

Best thing about buying at Lowes/HD is the return policy. Believe me, I felt like a scumbag returning a used grill after 3 months, but I did try to remedy the darned thing with Nexgrill and Lowes before I did so - there was no hope for that piece of trash, though. My point, however, is that you're not at too much risk by buying a grill at one of the big box retailers with a solid return policy.

Have you considered a big green egg, or some other kamado cooker? I have a Bubba Keg Grill that I probably use more often than my Weber. The gas is super convenient, though.

This website is pretty good for reviews of gas and charcoal grills and smokers: bbq.about.com
There is a best gas grill link on the upper left corner - it might be helpful.

We have some family pictures of my 3-y/o son helping me put together our 3-burner Weber.

He is a Sophomore at Texas A&M now and we still grill on that Weber 3 times a week 52 weeks yearly.

I am a believer! The parts are all replaceable and the darn thing simply works well for us. We bit the bullet and switched to cast-iron grates about 4 years ago and the difference is almost stunning. It's a pretty pricey upgrade but I would do it again in a heart beat.

duraleigh said:
We have some family pictures of my 3-y/o son helping me put together our 3-burner Weber.

He is a Sophomore at Texas A&M now and we still grill on that Weber 3 times a week 52 weeks yearly.

I am a believer! The parts are all replaceable and the darn thing simply works well for us. We bit the bullet and switched to cast-iron grates about 4 years ago and the difference is almost stunning. It's a pretty pricey upgrade but I would do it again in a heart beat.

I second the Weber. I bought the entry level 3 burner one about 7 years ago. Ended up building an Island and wanted to switch to NG. I sold that grill on craigslist for $100. Not to bad considering I used it for so many years.

Instead of getting a drop in grill for my island, I got a 3 burner Genesis with a side burner and had the builder work it in like a built in. Looks pretty much like a built in, and I get the goodness of the weber consistency. Easy to get parts if ever I need as well.

Old Weber:
def61f97.jpg

New Weber:
1c7a1a58.jpg

What a shame about Jenn-Air grills. I would think Jenn-Air would be more picky about putting its name on such a poorly designed (albeit good looking) grill. I don't know who makes my grill but it has the same problem no-mas described, a ridiculously large hole that lets out way too much heat. The back of the hood is bent out like a lip at the hole, likely to allow the hood to open cleanly. There have been many times I've attached a length of aluminum foil to that lip with wooden clothes line clips to close the hole. It's a functional solution but not something I should have to do on a grill that was four figures.

I have a small gas grill for a smaller space (patio caddy) that really gets hot and does a great job; however, I hardly use it any more after using it 3-4 nights a week for years. Last year, I bought a charcoal smoker / grill like the one above and it's wonderful. The gas is convenient in the winter but steaks, pizza (who knew that pizza could be so good?), ribs and pork roasts all get done on charcoal. Everyone's raving about my pulled pork and ribs; chicken's pretty good too.

Today they're sold as the "Big Steel Keg" and if you hunt around, you can probably find a good deal for a great product. Ace carries them and you can find out more about them / where to buy on the BSK message board.

Nice set-up, Loweran!

So I've decided to hold off with a really good & fancy grill for now as I'm going to have a built-in outdoor kitchen built in the next few years. So for now I've decided to just go with a decent grill from one of the big box stores, but with at least a few good features.

Does anyone have any opinion on the Brinkman line of grills sold at Home Depot? I'm considering the 5 burner with side burner and side searing station. While it's no Weber, it also doesn't seem like the type that will fall apart in just one summer. So far about the only bad reviews I've seen online had to do with dented and scratched units during shipping.

Thoughts??

Webber all the way i have a 20 year old webber that runs and looks like new. I had to replace the burner assembly and starter. Thats it. I looked at the Other brands at HD And lowes I would not trust them.
One brand i would look at other than webber is kitchen aid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.