where do I start

May 5, 2008
Cannot seem to get my 30000 gallon inground pool (vinyl) water to balance. Pool is very clody but has a somewhat blue color to it. Readings after testing water are as follows:
FC- 0.0
TC- 1.2
CC- 1.2
PH- 7.2
Hardness 190 PPM
TA- 27 PPM
CYA- 10
What is the best course of action to take, and in what order. Very frustrated at this time!!! :hammer:

Welcome. First question would be, how did you get your test results? Pool store? If so, they may be close but could be very wrong. Everyone here recommends getting a test kit, noted in pool school. Secondly, read through pool school so you will better understand what it is that we are suggesting you do.

Personally, based on advice I've received, I would get some stabilizer, from a big store like Walmart or whatever you have locally (100% cyanuric acid, CYA) and bring your CYA level up to 30. Use the pool calculator link in my sig to determine how much you need. Next I would bring the FC level up to 12 (level for "shocking" at a CYA level of 30) Maintain this FC level of 12 until: water is clear, CC is < .5 and you pass the overnight drop test. Then you can bring the CYA up and let your FC fall to the level it needs to be according to the charts in pool school.

What I just said is probably confusing, but hopefully it will get you on the right track. Definately ready pool school. You've come to the right place.

I did get the numbers from a test kit and also had them tested at local pool store. Both were pretty close to the same numbers. I have read throug the pool school, and just cant seem to get it right, the water just does not want to clear up. so what you are saying is to first get the CYA at the right level, and then try to adjust everything else after the CYA level is good!

The CYA will help hold the chlorine (FC). It tends to "melt" away and the CYA just helps to prevent that. CYA levels that are high require more FC to be at shock level, so that's why you start at 30, then, once the steps I mentioned are complete, you bring the level up and maintain FC accordingly. CYA really only affects the chlorine. You can work on the other levels at the same time but just try not to get in over your head with balancing so many things at once right from the start.

Another note, if you add the CYA granules, which are typically what's used and they are a bit cheaper, know that the resulting levels won't show up on a water test for about a week. So you just have to go on your calculations. The recommended way to add the CYA is to pour it in a sock and hang it over the side of the pool in front of a return. Do that, bring up your FC level, and check it often, up to every hour to make sure it is being maintained a shock level. (the longer you keep the level up, the less time it takes to get through the process.)

Once you get an handle on that, you can get some calcium to get your hardness up to 200 or a little higher and use baking soda to raise the TA level (note that this will also raise the pH level, which is ok since you're currently at 7.2)

Like I said, one thing at a time, don't overwhelm yourself.

As Joshs said, if your TA is really that low, use Baking Soda to raise it to about 60 and retest.
If okay, then retest pH to make sure it is still in range. I suggest the TA increase as the FIRST step.

Once TA & pH are confirmed, follows Joshs comments on CYA & shocking the pool.

Forget about increasing the calcium until after pool is cleared. Increasing calcium should be done when nothing else is being adjusted. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

joshs2000ss said:
Oh, don't backwash for at least 24 hours after adding the CYA.
If CYA granules are added via the sock method, backwashing is okay.
Only a small amount would be lost using the sock method, as compared to the amount that would be lost if it has been added directly to the skimmer.

I didn't have to deal with the pH and TA levels as they were good when I opened. I do realize after some reading that those need to be fixed first. CYA, FC and shocking are always first on my mind because that is what I had to spend the most effort dealing with.

Another good thing about this forum, plenty of people to steer you in the right direction when someone is a bit off on their suggestions. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.