completely dismayed...just stopped working

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
I have a fiberglass 14k gallon fiberglass pool about 6 years old. I had a hayward super pump and filter on the pool and it could hardly keep up.
I had another pump and filter system from another house and I did a switch out.
Bear in mind my plumbing skills are rudamentary at best.
The new pump and filter were hooked up. Pentair variable speed with the clean and clear plus 320.
A few leaks found in the beginning were fixed and pump has run great to clean my swamp for 5 days now.
This morning I got new filters from pleatco thinking this would help even more.
Put the filters in with no problem, they look identical to the pentair ones. The system worked great for 30 minutes and then lost prime. No matter what I do I can't seem to keep the pump primed and going now.
Please help, I am a mother of 3 kids dying to swim and I'm losing the algae battle the longer this thing sits idle. Thanks. Heather

My educated guess is an air leak. Logically, if it only started acting up after replacing filters, something you did there messed things up.

Did you move any valves and forget to move them back?
Did you clean out the strainer? Maybe it's not sealed tight?
What happens if you open the air bleed? Do you have an air bleed?
Did you forget to install an O-ring gasket somewhere?
Do the filters fit right?

No valves were moved.
Strainer was cleaned but I checked it 3 times and it is seated right and fine.
When I open the air bleed it just dribbles water down the side of the filter, even when the pump is on 4.
Nope I took off filter housing and cleaned oring and replaced it very carefully.
The filters seem to pop right in just as the pentair ones did.
The weird part of all of this is it worked like a charm for 30 minutes and I was so excited to see the pressure down to 12-15 instead of 27-30 with the old filters.
It just doesn't make sense.
I'm taking a coffee break to collect my head and will go back out to try again.
I'm gonna put the old filters back in after I clean them and see what happens....................UGH!

Richard320 said:
The pump makes noise? Maybe you got something stuck in the pump impeller. Kill the power to the pump, pull the strainer basket, and reach in and up to see if the impeller moves.

Same thing I'm thinking. An impeller problem is a good guess. Power off before checking though!

If you can get to the motor shaft at the back, see if the impeller turns when the shaft turns.

You cna post a video link.

It really sounds like a plugged impeller. It may turn fine but if the vanes are clogged it won't pump. You can take a small mirror and look at the front of it to see if you see anything in there. You could try feeling in it too. Be sure the power is off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had to work, will retry in the am. Thinking I have a sort of clog. I got it going, came home at 1am to see if it was still running and it was shut off and dry and I couldn't reprime it again. I shot water through the pump earlier, not sure what to look for? It went through fine until the pipes filled then squirted out at me???

Ok. I push the water through the skimmer and it eventually fills up and comes back. I push water through the bottom drain and it flows and flows and flows. No seemingly water loss in the pool. How do you unclog a clogged pipe? I had a skimmer plug in for the winter and the strainer has been in all the time (I'm pretty sure).
Oh well if anyone could advise me on how to onclog that would be helpful.

So I FINALLY got it fixed. I isolated the issue with the bottom drain. I had ruled out the pump, filter and the skimmer. I then messed around with the bottom drain valve and realized I had a bad oring. Oring replaced and retightened and I'm back to fighting my swamp. I have dumped so much chlorine in this thing without adequate circulation, I'm ready to get this thing cleaned up now!!! Thanks everyone!
Next thread is easy touch control issues:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.