can an EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 run 5 valve actuators?

I have been looking for a way to add 5 actuators for a long time now. I have talked to pentair and several pool builders and they all say that only 4 actuators can be installed on the easytouch. They won't offer any non standard solutions. The relays are 24v just like the actuators but I think the relays are 3 pin connectors and the actuators are 2 pin so they will not fit in directly. I noticed JasonLion's post which mentioned a special adapter. What kind of adapter and where can I get one?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

These guys have it for the best price that I've found so far http://www.westsidewholesale.com/po...ool-control-accessories/jandy/jandy-5254.html

My understanding is that it plugs into the relay control plug on the motherboard and as Jason said may also plug into some other spots to get power for the JVA itself. I don't believe that it needs an actual relay. I'm planning on trying this out someday so I can automate my waterfall with my Aux1 circuit but it's low on the priority list.

Thanks for the info on the Jandy relay board. I may use it as it seems pretty straight forward. Have you guys used this before and if so, is it easy to hookup?

Another option that I was trying to figure out with pentair was to connect the actuator(s) directly to a relay. On page "v" of the easytouch installation & user guide, it shows a list of easytouch accessories. One of these accessories is listed as part number 520198 and the description is "Two-Speed Three HP Relay up to three additional valve actuators."

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/EasyTouchICPUG.pdf

I talked to pentair about this as it would be nice to combine 2 actuators (or even 3, if necessary), that need to move in tandem, so I could free up a spot on my dedicated valve actuators for something else down the road. The guy I talked to told me that this relay was only for the intellitouch, but I told him that it is listed in the easytouch manual and shows up on many websites as a relay that can be used on the intellitouch, easytouch or suntouch systems. He then put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back to tell me that this was a misprint in the manual and will not allow actuators to attach to it. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I'm assuming that the 2-speed relay would have to have low voltage (24V) connections to attach an actuator directly to it.

The two speed relay won't help you at all. That is just a 240 volt relay with three states: off, low, and high, instead of two states: off and on. It will work in any of their automation systems, but has nothing to do with valve actuators. The part of the part description that says "up to three additional valve actuators" is a typo. That text applies to an expansion board that only works with the IntelliTouch system, and not to the 520198.

diypoolguy111 said:
I talked to pentair about this as it would be nice to combine 2 actuators (or even 3, if necessary), that need to move in tandem, so I could free up a spot on my dedicated valve actuators for something else down the road.

I forget where I saw it, but you can find cables that will let you plug two JVAs into one socket. I don't think you'd want to do three, and even two may pose a problem as they will double the electrical load on the circuit...check with Pentaire if theyhave such a cable and if they think that's OK to do.

carlscan26 said:
I forget where I saw it, but you can find cables that will let you plug two JVAs into one socket. I don't think you'd want to do three, and even two may pose a problem as they will double the electrical load on the circuit...check with Pentaire if theyhave such a cable and if they think that's OK to do.

I asked pentair about this already and according to them, is not recommended. I have heard that it will work but may cause one or both actuators to burn out quicker. I also read somewhere that some types of actuators won't move together when wired together....one will move and when it stops the other will move. Anyway, it seems that this auxiliary relay board that Jason mentioned is the best way to go.

I just got a response from Jandy about their 5254 auxiliary relay board. He said that he is not familiar with pentair's easytouch but that the auxiliary relay board uses one wire to attach to an empty relay slot and you must also supply 24V power to the 3 pin plug on the board itself. The actuator then plugs into the other plug on the relay board. There is also a secondary 3 pin output to tie into an existing transformer on their jandy control system (which I'm not sure if that is necessary for a basic actuator setup). I'm going to open up my easytouch control panel this weekend and take a look around in there to see how it will connect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's hard to see in the picture but does your valve actuator plug in to that midtex 187? The midtex is a lot cheaper than the jandy relay board so if that's all that you added to control another valve, that seems like the way to go. Is there anything else that you added (in addition to the midtex) to control the 5th actuator?

On a side note, here is a pdf file of the jandy 5254 showing the connections provided to me by jandy's customer support, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 5254 Aux JVA Relay Board.pdf
    139.1 KB · Views: 95
It is hard to see, but yes, the valve actuator is connected to the relay.

I think the only "extra" parts are connectors and wire so it seems like a cost effective solution, but it does require an aux relay to be dedicated to the control of that valve.

I can look tonight/tomorrow and sketch exactly how it is connected into the main board of the intellitouch 8 if that will help.

Dan-H said:
It is hard to see, but yes, the valve actuator is connected to the relay.

I think the only "extra" parts are connectors and wire so it seems like a cost effective solution, but it does require an aux relay to be dedicated to the control of that valve.

I can look tonight/tomorrow and sketch exactly how it is connected into the main board of the intellitouch 8 if that will help.

Please do - I'm curios where it's drawing the supply for the actuator?

for the easy touch 8, please refer to page 31 in this guide. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LoadCenterIG.pdf

An Aux relay connection on the main circuit board provides control for the relay. In my case aux1.

The power supply for the valve actuator comes from the low voltage lines on the right corner of the main circuit board. There are 12v, 18v and 24v, and this is using the 24v output. this is the same power supply for the other valve actuators.

I hope this is enough detail. I don't think I can take a picture that will show this detail.

This sounds like the same type of setup for the jandy relay board. Correct me if I'm wrong here...you need a 2 pin wire connected to an empty relay slot and the other end connected to the midtex unit. Additionally you need a power supply wire connecting to the 24V slot on the power supply and again, the other end to the midtex unit. And lastly, the actuator wire connected to the midtex as well.

My only question is, are there connectors built into the midtex unit (like the jandy relay board) so that the actuator cord, power supply and connection to the relay slot plug right into it or do you have to cut off the mini plug on the end and strip wires to connect them via screw downs or some other type of connection. Also, do you know where to get connector wires with either 2 pin or 3 pin plugs built in already (assuming they can be used on the midtex unit).

Thanks for all the help!!!

diypoolguy111 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here...you need a 2 pin wire connected to an empty relay slot and the other end connected to the midtex unit. Additionally you need a power supply wire connecting to the 24V slot on the power supply and again, the other end to the midtex unit. And lastly, the actuator wire connected to the midtex as well.

correct. and then coming off the midtex relay are two wires, one to move the valve one direction, one to move it back.

There are no connectors built onto the midtex relay. Mine is spliced together with crimp connectors. The plug and several inches of wire coming off the pentair board match the other connectors, but then they are spliced to stranded wire and this stranded wire has connectors crimped on to connect to the relay. Everything except the 2 pin plug to the aux relay slot on the board is vanilla electrical parts.

No idea where to get the 2pin plugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.