Reverse Water Hammer

After 30+ years of use, my system has developed a peculiar habit when the pump shuts down. The back flow into the skimmer is so violent that it knocks my skimmer basket out of position, or when I am running my Navigator it will push the hose out of the suction line. Anybody else have this problem or even heard of it?

Welcome to TFP!

That is almost always caused by air accumulating in the filter. Open the air bleed valve on the top of the filter and let air out until a steady stream of water comes out. If the filter fills up with air over and over you must have an air leak somewhere on the suction side of the pump.

Pretty common actually. You have an air leak, and the air is getting in your filter. When you shut the pump off the air blows back out of your filter causing the skimmer basket to launch out of the skimmer.

Common places to have an air leak:
The pump strainer basket lid. Clean, inspect and lube the sealing surface & o-ring.
The pump basket drain plug(s).
The skimmer weir not working properly. Sticking is a culpret.
The water level allowing the skimmer to create a vortex sucking in air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.