Is my pump too small?

Jun 3, 2011
We bought a new Hayward S244t sand filter this year, our pool is 18 x 36 inground(8ft dept, we think) with 2 returns. Our pump is only 3/4 horse, is that too small? It seems like it is taking longer to get our water clear this year. we had a DE filter( not sure of size). This is the first time I am handling all of the "opening and cleaning duties" and I' m not sure if I am being impatiant(?) or we need a bigger pump. I started out with the green swamp, right now, water is balanced and it is cloudy blue, but I can see the shallow end clear and the bottom of the deep end is getting better each day. I am trying to do the BBB lifestyle!!! Thank you, this site has given me so much information and a better understanding of how our pool works!!

Your pump is just fine. Water filters better when moving at slower speeds through the filter. The difference is the change from DE to sand. A sand filter will take longer to filter out the debris from an algae bloom. Since you are seeing improvement daily you are on the right track. Open up some p.o.p (pool owner patience) and stay the course. If you want, you can add a little DE to the sand filter to improve the filtering efficiency. Just add enough for a 1 pt rise in pressure, and reapply after each backwash.

Thank you, that is a big relief!! I have been adding DE to the filter, but patience is another topic and I am trying very hard to have some. Does anyone know where I can pick up a big bag of it???LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.