When to stop keeping chlorine at shock level

Jun 10, 2011
Ive got a 20x40 inground vinyl pool that I have been opening myself the last couple years. I use the BBB method and evrntually always go from a green pool at opening to a sparkling pool. I am however still unclear of one thing. When my pool goes from green to a light blue, how long do i need to keep my chlorine levels up to shock level ? My chlorine is holding overnight and I dont seem to be using more than normal during the day. Do I keep at shock level until pool is completely clear or can I maintain normal chlorine level based on CYA at this point and just wait for the filter to do the remaining work ? Thanks

hardcoreco1 said:
Ive got a 20x40 inground vinyl pool that I have been opening myself the last couple years. I use the BBB method and evrntually always go from a green pool at opening to a sparkling pool. I am however still unclear of one thing. When my pool goes from green to a light blue, how long do i need to keep my chlorine levels up to shock level ? My chlorine is holding overnight and I dont seem to be using more than normal during the day. Do I keep at shock level until pool is completely clear or can I maintain normal chlorine level based on CYA at this point and just wait for the filter to do the remaining work ? Thanks

You are done shocking when you meet the three criteria. See red info in my sig.

Welcome :wave:

Okay just to confirm. My chlorine is holding overnight and my cc is 0. My pool is a very light blue and I can see the bottom of shallow end but nothing on deep end. You are telling me I need to keep at constant shock level based on CYA until pool is totally clear correct?
Thanks

hardcoreco1 said:
Okay just to confirm. My chlorine is holding overnight and my cc is 0. My pool is a very light blue and I can see the bottom of shallow end but nothing on deep end. You are telling me I need to keep at constant shock level based on CYA until pool is totally clear correct?
Thanks

Yep. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.