Noob/First time pool owner getting new liner

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
Me and the wife purchased a foreclosed home in Alabama. The pool was horrible when we purchased it and we have been waiting on the new liner to come in. After a month of waiting, it is in and the pool company started pumping the water out. Wow at the stench from the pool!! This is our first pool so I will be visiting this site quite a bit. I was told the pool is a 20x40 True L. It is a saltwater pool with a Polaris Autoclear Plus setup. Not sure if the equipment is in working order or not. I turned the pumps on for a second and they came to life and the SWG panels lit up, so I am hoping all is well with it all. Here are a few pics before. I will be taking a bunch tomorrow as the new liner is going in.

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

c72ad32c.jpg

9c5a4d0b.jpg

d07b53b0.jpg

6fec8caa.jpg

f447bbbb.jpg

2dedfac2.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

You'll need to get on over to Pool School and do some reading. You'll only have a few days' grace period with the fresh fill, then the honeymoon's over.

But first...break out the plastic and get over to http://tftestkits.net. Order yourself a TF100 and some salt test strips. I recommend a speedstir as well, it's really cool. It will be the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. There is no way to keep tabs on your pool water without one. Troublefree is not Maintenancefree, although with a SWG and a robot, you're pretty darn close!

You've found the right place! People here are wonderful ... have fun watching your swamp become a pool :)

Looks like you'll soon be on your way to having a beautiful oasis... complete with the start of a cabana, bar or pool house in the back corner. You've got a nice blank slate to make your own. Looks like a fun project to me!

Thanks guys! I've been doing some reading on and off in the Pool School. Started filling it with water so hopefully by Sunday it will be close to full. I am right outside of Montgomery. It has definitely been a transformation with the new liner. I was really hoping the Polaris was in the bottom, but it wasn't. So now I have to decide on what cleaner to get. The installer suggested the Tiger Shark, but it already has the booster pump installed so I'd hate to waste it. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the back corner. The previous owner only installed 3 posts so all I can think of is he was going to build a fireplace or something to support the rear corner. Electricity and water/drains are already ran out there so that is a plus. If you look at the last picture of them installing the liner, in front of the box you can see two pvc pipes sticking up. I believe he was planning on a water feature of some sort. There was a hot tub right there also, but they took that right before we closed.

I'm sure I will need help. I know as much about pools as I do launching the space shuttle.

I do have a question. My pool should be full in the morning and I haven't tested the pumps or anything yet other than turning them on for a second to see if it all powered up. What do I need to do to test it? Pool company is supposed to come out and put salt and stuff in it but I am too anxious to wait. I have the big sand filter. I know the SWG won't show or do anything since no salt is in yet but I'd like to check and see if all is circulating like it should. Bear in mind nothing has been run for a year so do I need to flush or backwash? Thanks guys!

Get the pool company to give you a complete list of exactly what they put into the pool. Some things they might add may not show up on test later (CYA) when your test kit comes so you want to be sure where you stand before you take over the operation. Ideally they will add chlorine and stabilizer and adjust alkalinity if needed. But you want to know what they tested, what they added, and what they were hoping to achieve with that.

What you need to test is the TF-100 test kit, only online from www.tftestkits.net. Delivery is really fast. If you are given a little blue box with tests for pH and chlorine, then you can order the kit without that part. BUT -- tend to that ASAP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far, they have 20 bags of salt and two pails of stabilizer that you can see in the last picture. I will definitely get a list of what they add and what they are trying to achieve. Nothing added yet. I am trying to order my test kit now, but the shipping part is messed up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.