Need to understand the "why"

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
I am currently trying to clean my pool (again) due to my sand filter cracking and it not being replaced right away. I am following the shocking process, but I can't help but wonder something. My shock level is 15 and I can't help but wonder what would be wrong with just dumping twice the amount needed to get results faster. Everything I have read on this forum tells me not to do that, but I would like to understand the "why". It is so tempting to dump more so I don't have to keep checking every hour, but I know there is a reason why that is not a good idea.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain this to me.

Thanks!!!

You could do damage to your liner, your equipment, etc. Plus... I believe it's best to maintain a high level than to hit it hard, the algae will likely burn up the excess chlorine faster than it will do you good. There is a science to the madness.

Plus chlorine is driven off by the sun as a percentage, with that percentage being related to the CYA level. So if you are going to lose 30% of your FC to the sun today, do you want to start from 25 ppm or from 50 ppm, if 25 ppm is what you need to have to shock the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.