my first results using the TF-100

rt

May 29, 2011
I rec'd my new test kit today and hopefully used it correctly. I followed the directions and came up with the following results:
FC=4.5
CC=4.5
TC=9
TA=120
CH=300
CYA=This was between the 30 and 20 mark

The water is clear however I still have a slight tint of green in the deep end. Can someone direct me in my next steps to help balance the water/clear up this green tint in the deep end of the pool?

thanks in advance

Well using your results, you start with your CYA reading, we'll go with the higher number 30.

Per the chart, if you look at the 30 and follow the row to the end, the Shock FC is 12ppm

Now if we go to the pool calculator and drop in your current FC 4.5, target FC 12, and pool volume 30,000 Gal.

The calculator states you need to add 467oz of 6% bleach solution. If your bleach is not 6%, adjust the concentration as necessary to calculate the proper amount to add.

Easy there! First lets make sure that's CC and not TC. Walk us through how you got that number.

You should have done the FC test using R-0870 then drops of R-0871 until it turned clear, then using the same sample you should have added 5 drops R-0003 and if it turned pink, you should have added drops of R-0871 until it turned clear again.

Is that how you did it?

that is exactly how I completed the test........just as you described. one note is that when adding the on drop at a time it turned clear but about 20 seconds later it would turn back to pink so I would add another drop......repeated until it stayed clear. Is this correct? if so, then I guess 467 oz of bleach is in order.......correct?

I've never had it take 20 seconds to return to pink but that sounds right.

At any rate you are right about needing to shock. I assume you're using the Pool Calc to come up with the amount. With a CC of 4.5 you're probably going to need lots of bleach to complete the shock process.

Remember, if the people at the store aren't looking at you funny when you leave, you didn't buy enough bleach.

I am using the pool calc. at first did not really understand how to use it it but with help here I am starting to get it. I have a long way to go in my learning here as I have been so dependent on the pool store for so long. but this site is great and everyone seems very helpful. I am glad I stummbled onto this site. does 467 oz sound like alot or unheard of? if not how long should I keep people out of the pool after putting this much bleach in the water?
thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds about right for the first blast of bleach. I'd keep people out of the pool until it's at least clear all the way down. Best to wait until the shocking is done and the rest of the water is balanced. You don't want anyone to get an ear infection or skin rashes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.