First time tester!!

May 15, 2009
I got my new TFtest kit today. Bought the heavy duty XL edition. Opened pool on Memorial day weekend to a green monster. Hit it with 6 lb shock and it boiled up nice with dead stuff on the top. Got water tested at pool store and had these numbers
FC=.5
TC=1
CC=.5
pH=8.9 yikes
Hardness=160 ppm
Alkalinity=280 ppm yikes
Cya=10
Salt = 2510
temp=81

Added three bags of salt, 4 lbs stabilizer and set to super chlorinate.

Tested today with my new chemistry set and things looked like this
FC=1
CC= not tested
TC=1
pH=above 8.2 yikes again
TA=320+
CYA=55
temp=88

Pump bit the bullet today so no circulation. New one tomorrow and I will get another store test while I am there to see if my numbers are close..
Clearing up nice but still a little cloudy with some debris on bottom. After new pump will vacuum tomorrow. Slowly but surely getting it there. Thanks for all the help. TOM

New pump. 1.5hp pentair. Arghh.
Tested today.
FC=15.5 SWG is obviously working again after super chlorinate. Bigger pump have an impact?
CC=0
TC=15.5
pH=8.2+
T/A=180? On the test does the entire vial need to turn red? Or just when you add the drop? Drop turns red for just a bit and then disappears.
CYA=80
Temp=77

We had 2 inches of rain over the weekend and the pool water dropped almost 10 degrees in two days. Water is crystal clear but I just cannot get the pH to cooperate.

but I just cannot get the pH to cooperate.
Then you must make it cooperate.

Let your FC drift down below 10ppm so you can get an accurate test.

Then test and lower your pH. The answer is muriatic acid and you can dose it every hour until it get into the mid 7's.

I would not address anything else until the pH is lowered.

Chlorine is back in range (3). pH still high (8+). Turned SWG to 10% output and the pump runs 24/7. Added acid last night will check again this evening. Question on the TA test. Does the entire cylinder of test water need to stay red after the drop, or just the drop that hits the water? Thanks for all the help. Water is crystal clear but high pH.

FC = 2.5
pH = 7.8
Starting to notice scale accumulation on bottom. Hardness problem?
Will test again this evening, supposed to be near 100 degrees all weekend.
Pool will be a popular place the next few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.