Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools in Missouri City, Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools in Missouri City, Texas

My name is Ronnie and I bought a home with a pool about 6 months ago. Up to now, a pool service has been handling cleaning and chemicals. Since it is too cold to swim, I am thinking of doing it myself. I am planning on buying a pool cleaner, a leaf rake, chemicals, and a test kit. Any suggestions on where to start?

My pool is 17,375 Gallons with a Nautilus FNS Triton DE filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Force pumps, Teledyne Labs Flextemp Heater.

Thanks, Ronnie
    My pool is 17,375 Gallons IG with a Nautilus FNS Triton DE filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Force pumps, Teledyne Labs Flextemp Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

I would start with a good test kit. There is one sold at www.tftestkits.com that is very good. A good supply of bleach or chlorinating liquid (or tabs, depending on your CYA situation) would be the first chemical to buy. After testing the pool, this will tell you if you need muriatic acid or borax to adjust your pH, and it will tell you if you need stabilizer (Cyanuric acid, or CYA). Sounds like you're on the right track with the other hardware. You didn't mention manual vacuum, I'd get one of those too, as well as a manual skimmer net.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Welcome to TFP! BTW, I also live in Missouri City.

You mentioned needing to buy a cleaner. What type of cleaner does the pool have now?

Your instincts are right about the test kit - that's where I would start. I suggest the TF-100 at www.tftestkits.com.

What type of sanitizing / chlorination system do you have? In-line chlorine feeder (pucks), saltwater chlorine generator?

You might also want to start reading "The Stickies" - see the link in my signature. Don't get overwhelmed though. We'll be here to walk you through it. Once you get the hang of it, taking care of your own pool will be a snap.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Good advice already given... Welcome to TFP!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Regarding the cleaner, I don't have one. I could use a recommendation... I have heard the name Polaris before but don't know if it is any good.

Regarding the clorinator... the pool company has been putting the pucks in the skimmer basket. There is a cylinder looking thing by the heater that may hold the pucks.
    My pool is 17,375 Gallons IG with a Nautilus FNS Triton DE filter, Jacuzzi Magnum Force pumps, Teledyne Labs Flextemp Heater.