hello from cntrl ohio

Jun 9, 2011
just finished filling our new intex 16x48" pool. i work 4 am to 2:30pm so its off to bed. i did run a 5 way test and my results are:

FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 240
Hardness 400
CYA 30-50

someone plz tell me how to correct my ranges. ill run another test b4 i leave in the morn and post it. thanks again

I ran another test this morn and a second test to verify the results but here it is:

FC. 3/6
PH 7.8
TA. 240
TH. 200
CYA. 30/50

the only thing ive added was chlorine tablet and shock. I was told the shock would bring up my fc, should I have not used it? Also I'm using the 5 way strip should I invest in a better tester? Any recommendation?

A better test kit will give you MUCH more accuracy than what you have. It's good insurance that pays for itself rather quickly. I would get yourself a TF-100 from tftestkits.net.

Just to show how unreliable test strips can be, I have posted your results from both tests and will point out the discrepancies.
dirtybird819 said:
just finished filling our new intex 16x48" pool. i work 4 am to 2:30pm so its off to bed. i did run a 5 way test and my results are:

FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 240
Hardness 400
CYA 30-50

someone plz tell me how to correct my ranges. ill run another test b4 i leave in the morn and post it. thanks again
It would appear that you had not added the shock yet, but you have 30-50 CYA?

dirtybird819 said:
I ran another test this morn and a second test to verify the results but here it is:

FC. 3/6
PH 7.8
TA. 240
TH. 200
CYA. 30/50

the only thing ive added was chlorine tablet and shock. I was told the shock would bring up my fc, should I have not used it? Also I'm using the 5 way strip should I invest in a better tester? Any recommendation?
Your pH went up according to the test, but tablet use usually drives pH down. Your TH went down, from 400 to 200. Most of that is calcium, which only goes down if you drain the pool.

A high quality test kit such as the TF 100 will yield consistent results that will allow you to accurately dose your pool and keep it sparkling and safe.

Those test strips are junk. I know, because I've been using them. I thought I had 30/50 CYA as well, but the reading was actually 0. I'm quite sure that's your case too. Take a sample to the pool store and get a more accurate reading. Don't buy anything while you're there though! They don't know what they are talking about! But their reading will be a lot more accurate until you can order a real test kit!

I stopped by wally world on my way home from work and picked up a better testing kit from hth. I know its not a tf-100 but I had gift cards so it was free. I ran another test and here is the results:

FC. 2/4
PH. 7.8
TA 240
TH. 250
CYA. 0

Can someone tell me how to raise my CYA and lower my TA? Thank yall

Dn't worry about the TA right now. First get the pH down to about 7.2 with acid then go find some stabilizer. Wally-World usually has it in 3 lb containers. You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how much of each thing you need.

Hang some of it in a sock in front of the return. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.