Possible problem with install? soft ground.

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, so my excavator is more than half way done with digging. Tomorrow, he will be adjusting the edge, then digging and cementing posts for a retaining wall. Anyways, he said I have a "clay vein" I think he called it, running across the pool area. It is pretty soft. Obviously, from the pic, you can see how the water runs downhill, and at the bottom is where it is softer. (yes, we have had rain lately, he actually had to stop yesterday, cuz it was a little too damp.) He said I shouldn't worry, and it will dry out now that 1) it is dug up, and 2) he will be putting drain pipe around the entire retaining wall, so no real runoff should go there anymore.

When I go out there now, it feels squishy. You can see the ground move and you shift weight from one foot to the next. Again, he says it will dry out and be ok. Should I be concerned? He is NOT the person installing the pool. He does pools for a company, but I purchased from another store. I hired him just to do the dig and retaining wall, since pool shops don't offer retaining walls. :)

Ok, so, if it is all about being dry, when I schedule installation, should I make sure I have like two good, dry days? Man, it seems like this is taking forever!

large.jpg

With drain pipe around the pool, you should be OK. If there are any soft spots where the pool will be, dig out the 'muck' and fill in with gravel and compact it. If you have to 'over-dig' the pool a few inches and fill it back up with gravel and compact it, you're better off taking care of it now, rather than having an issue later! A sound and solid base for the pool is quite important!

Hello, probalby the main reason your ground is soft is the tractor or backhoe driving around the dig site which is wet. The weight of the machine actually pumps the water back and forth creating soft spots, basic hydraulics. Give the site a week or so of sun and no heavy equipment driving too close, a riding mower wouldn't hurt anything, and the ground should be more than capable of supporting a pool. Enjoy the pool and the rain, I've forgotten what rain is here in Texas!

Dupjr said:
Hello, probalby the main reason your ground is soft is the tractor or backhoe driving around the dig site which is wet. The weight of the machine actually pumps the water back and forth creating soft spots, basic hydraulics. Give the site a week or so of sun and no heavy equipment driving too close, a riding mower wouldn't hurt anything, and the ground should be more than capable of supporting a pool. Enjoy the pool and the rain, I've forgotten what rain is here in Texas!

There is NO way I will be able to let the site sit for a full week to dry out. Summer will be about over by the time we find a week with no rain. I am quite surprised how much it dried out in a day and a half. I hope it will be fine. It is supposed to actually be nice 3-4 days in a row, right before when I hope to schedule the install. But then a chance of rain the day of. Ofcourse the weather forecast will most likely change by then. I have limited window of when they can install. NO way in the world am I gonna have them do it while I am at work!

I wish I had your problem, mature trees are dropping like dominoes in my part of the country. A few days will probably be sufficient providing the surface isn't disturbed by heavy equipment.

Dupjr said:
I wish I had your problem, mature trees are dropping like dominoes in my part of the country. A few days will probably be sufficient providing the surface isn't disturbed by heavy equipment.

Wow, that sucks. If there was a way to give you my rain, I would! LOL. He came out and finished digging and as he got done, it rained AGAIN. He had to go take a break, before coming back to dig holes for the retaining wall. I love how a "mess" soon comes to look like something as progress is made. I can visualize the pool there now. :-D

I did the work on my 27' AB - >18" slope over the 30', dug just under half of it by hand before giving up and renting a TLB to finish. Ground was so wet it shifted under your feet and I got the tractor struck several times while digging.

Three hot dry days later and the ground was pretty much fine - ran a vibrating compactor to help level out the area and set the stone dust around the perimeter.

The base was setup within 1/8" over the 27' with a water level and remained there after filling - haven't check it after two winters but there is no indication at all that anything has shifted.

Aaron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.