Question on Conversion of BAC to Chlorine use Bleach method

Jun 9, 2011
Hello all. Having been reading posts for days and am into day two of bacquacil to chlorine conversion using the bleach method. So far have used 25 bottles of 96 oz bleach, 6%, brand X. Pool is inground, 21,000 gallons, 16 X 32 with a 3 foot and 8 foot end. I have gone from deep dark green to pea soup to light murky green and I can finally see the lower end bottom! The algae just sweeps away now with broom. BAC algicide did nothing, as I'm sure you all know. Sorry I have not gotten more interesting colors. Sanitizer was at zero when we started. I have not yet gotten a kit that measures up to 15ppm (I thought 1.5 meant 15, but I'm new at this). I have one now that measures up to 10 but I am still at 3 but we are doing well here. Anyway, is it possible to convert without getting to 15ppms? Water is getting clearer and clearer. Sand was changed day before I started to convert. Brand new liner, filter, skimmer, sand. My other question is - what does 'CC' stand for? I can't seem to find that anywhere. Thanks SO much.

Re: Question on Conversion of BAC to Chlorine use Bleach met

Higher chlorine levels will result in a faster conversion. You can get an estimate of your level by mixing the pool water sample 50-50 with distilled water and testing the mixture. Double the reading and you will have an idea of what your chlorine level is.

CC is combined chlorine. That is chlorine that is tied up in a compound with something in the water, but is unable to completely oxidize it due to lack of free chlorine in the water.

Hi John T thank you my question is during the conversion steps it says your conversion is complete when CC's are .5 or less two days in a row. I don't know what that means. What exactly are CC's and how do I measure them? THank you

You need a test kit with either the FAS-DPD chlorine test or the DPD chlorine test. FAS-DPD is greatly preferred. The FAS-DPD chlorine test measures FC and CC from 0 to 50 by 0.5s. The DPD chlorine test measures FC and CC from 0 to 5 by 0.5, 1, or 2 depending on the level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.