Comparing my numbers after first bbb usage.

Jun 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I just tested my water today after adding all of my chemicals last night.

Here is where I am now.

Yesterday Today
FC - 0 8 (I suppose since it was the brightest pink, how can you tell if its higher than this?)
CC - 1 8 (seems really high)
PH 7.0 7.8
ALk 60 150 (again seems very high)
CH 190 220
CYA 80 Didn't test.

Yesterday I added chemicals per instruction of pool calculator baking soda, washing soda and bleach. Instantly the pool turned green and this morning is clear again with a white film on the bottom (assume this is dead algea)

The funny thing is the pool was clear before the bleach so I am not sure how the algea was present - pool is clear again now - plan to sweep this evening when this nasty sun goes down.

Something's not quite right with those test results. Did you use your K-2006 to get those?

FC, Brightest pink?? It's supposed to turn clear after dropping the R-0871 in there!
CC, I hope that's TC you mean! 8 ppm CC means you really need to shock!
pH, Why are you raising pH?
TA, 60 was a little low but you should have only raised it to 70 but I'd have left it alone.
CH, Not needed in a vinyl pool. What did you add to raise it?

I used the k2006 to get free chlorine it turned bright pink. After dropping in the R0871 and it took 8 drops to get to clear again.

Maybe I am confused between total chlorine and combined chlorine??

Also I raised the ph and ta with baking soda/washing soda per the pool calc recommendation.

Should I lower it with muriatic acid?

If I'm not mistaken the k2006 calls for a 25ml sample and each drop would count as 0.2ppm for both FC and CC. After the pink turns clears you add 5 drops of r-0003 and if it turns pink you use and count r0871 drops until clear again...each drop is 0.2ppm, unless you are using a 10ml sample...then each drop is 0.5ppm

As others have said, with the 2006 kit,(which I am becoming very familiar with), if you used 25ml sample, it would be 8 x .2 = FC of 1.6; if you used 10ml sample, it would be 8 x .5 = FC of 4.0.
To get CC, you would add the 5 drops, and then again count the drops and multiply by .2 or .5. How did you perform the two tests?

Did you intentially set out to raise the pH and TA to that specific level? If not, maybe you used the pool calculator wrong?

aa62579 said:
As others have said, with the 2006 kit,(which I am becoming very familiar with), if you used 25ml sample, it would be 8 x .2 = FC of 1.6; if you used 10ml sample, it would be 8 x .5 = FC of 4.0.
To get CC, you would add the 5 drops, and then again count the drops and multiply by .2 or .5. How did you perform the two tests?

Did you intentially set out to raise the pH and TA to that specific level? If not, maybe you used the pool calculator wrong?

I used the 10ml sample and after two scoops of powder my test read 7.8. It took eight drops of the other chemical to bring it back to clear.

softballer said:
aa62579 said:

I used the 10ml sample and after two scoops of powder my test read 7.8. It took eight drops of the other chemical to bring it back to clear.

Okay, I think I may know what you have done. You are combining the pH test with the FC test. I think you looked at the pH scale and tried to match color. That is only with pH, not chlorine.

To get the chlorine:

Add 10ml of water. Add two scoops yellow capped powder and swirl until dissolved.
To get FC - add drops of middle bottle until the solution goes clear. Multiply by .5. This is your FC. So, your FC = 4.0
To get CC, to that SAME solution, add 5 drops of the third yellow capped bottle. Did it turn back pink? If no, CC=0. If yes, add drops of the middle bottle and mulitply that number by .5.

Does that make any sense based on what you did?

aa62579 said:
softballer said:
aa62579 said:

Okay, I think I may know what you have done. You are combining the pH test with the FC test. I think you looked at the pH scale and tried to match color. That is only with pH, not chlorine.

To get the chlorine:

Add 10ml of water. Add two scoops yellow capped powder and swirl until dissolved.
To get FC - add drops of middle bottle until the solution goes clear. Multiply by .5. This is your FC. So, your FC = 4.0
To get CC, to that SAME solution, add 5 drops of the third yellow capped bottle. Did it turn back pink? If no, CC=0. If yes, add drops of the middle bottle and mulitply that number by .5.

Does that make any sense based on what you did?

I realized I made a mistake as well after seeing how we all seemed to be on different pages. Read the directions thoroughly and tested again with the 25ml water.

13x.0.2 = 2.6 FC
2x0.2 = .4 CC

I think I did it right this time.

Might I just add how valuable of a resource this place is..

softballer said:
I realized I made a mistake as well after seeing how we all seemed to be on different pages. Read the directions thoroughly and tested again with the 25ml water.

13x.0.2 = 2.6 FC
2x0.2 = .4 CC

Good thing you got that sorted out!

You still need more chlorine if CYA is 80. Sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
softballer said:

13x.0.2 = 2.6 FC
2x0.2 = .4 CC

Good thing you got that sorted out!

You still need more chlorine if CYA is 80. Sorry.

I retested that as well about 5 mins ago - CYA is more like 50-60 I did a partial drain of the pool twice this week prior to getting my test kit after info from my local shop said my CYA is 150.

Going to repeat the PH and total ALK test now and see what I come up with.

I am in a small town, but I was able to find it at Ace Hardware. Now, I didn't know where to look, so just asked a guy, and he said he would grab me 2 gallons and bring it up front. I have seen other posts that you find it at Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

My TA started out at 325 and my pH raises from 7.0 to 7.8 in a matter of days, so I HAVE to use it. From what I have read on here, you aren't all that high, and may not even need to adjust if your pH holds at 7.6. I would wait on one of the experts to answer you on that reguard.

softballer said:
Ok, so I feel I am quickly becoming a pro at testing lol.

PH was more like 7.6
TA was still at 150.

At this point do I need to go buy muriatic acid and if so, where do I buy this stuff?
Oh, yeah, you'll get real good at testing during the first couple weeks!
pH is good for now, but expect it to start climbing within a few days. Muriatic acid is sold at pool stores, Lowes, and a lot of mom-n-pop hardware stores this time of year. You will need some, but I wou;dn't make a special trip to go buy it today. Pick up a gallon or two next time you go past a store that sells it.

How does the water look? It really doesn't matter what the tests say if the pool looks yucky, no one will use it that way!

Richard320 said:
softballer said:
Ok, so I feel I am quickly becoming a pro at testing lol.

PH was more like 7.6
TA was still at 150.

At this point do I need to go buy muriatic acid and if so, where do I buy this stuff?
Oh, yeah, you'll get real good at testing during the first couple weeks!
pH is good for now, but expect it to start climbing within a few days. Muriatic acid is sold at pool stores, Lowes, and a lot of mom-n-pop hardware stores this time of year. You will need some, but I wou;dn't make a special trip to go buy it today. Pick up a gallon or two next time you go past a store that sells it.

How does the water look? It really doesn't matter what the tests say if the pool looks yucky, no one will use it that way!

Pool looks beautiful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.