Help - added Shock and my pool turned GREEN

Jun 9, 2011
Canton, Michigan
Hi
My Levels were as follows this morning:
FC = 0
PH = 7.6
CYA = 75

Water was cloudy, could not see the bottom. FC had been zero for over 24 hours and the cloudiness was only getting worse, even though I was running my SWG at 100%. I took a cup of water to the local pool store and they told me that my levels looked good except the FC = 0, just like I thought. I added 4 Gallons of shock per there instructions, within 1 hour my pool turned from cloudy to green cloudy? Why would adding shock make my pool turn green? I called the pool store they said my pool was probably already on the verge of turning green. They said wait an hour or so and it'll start to get better.

Any advice?

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

It should turn grey/milky cloudy soon. If it does not, it may be possible you have copper in your water along with the algae...but let the chlorine do it's thing. 4 Gallons of 12% chlorinating liquid, would have raised you FC by about 45-50ppm, which is high....30 is your shock level with CYA at 75...but don;t be too alarmed it will come down pretty fast.

Having your own test kit is really handy when trying to shock your pool. Shock is a process, not a product :goodjob:

Posting up a full set of test results is always helpful :goodjob:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

The TF100 or most other kits do not test for metals. But before we jump to that conclusion...let see what your levels are and if the green fades over the next 24hrs

As of 3pm (3 hours after shocking)
FC = 4PPM (where is the chlorine going?)
CC = 0.5 PPM
PH = 6.8
TA = 130
CH = 200
CYA = 30

CYA is low... should I add something to get that back up? Why/how is the FC so low already... I just added 4 gallons of chlorine 3 hours ago?

Help!

Poolkim said:
As of 3pm (3 hours after shocking)
FC = 4PPM (where is the chlorine going?)
CC = 0.5 PPM
PH = 6.8
TA = 130
CH = 200
CYA = 30

CYA is low... should I add something to get that back up? Why/how is the FC so low already... I just added 4 gallons of chlorine 3 hours ago?

Help!
No, no, no! That CYA is perfect for shocking.

The chlorine is gone because it's been killing algae. You need to give it some reinforcement - add some more bleach! If you don't, the algae will return, and those four gallons you poured in died for nothing.

And I'm not sure I trust that pH number - that's very acidic!

Thanks for the help! The pool is coming along now. It's mostly blue and I can see the bottom. Still a little cloudy. I'm still working to get the CC under 1ppm. Just gave it another shock now. I'm getting more confident everyday! Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.