Solar Reel for large pool

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
My pool came with a 22' Horizon solar reel. Based on instructions I got from Horizon, the reel wasn't assembled properly, and as such the inserts that hold the tubing together broke. I replaced them and got another 2 years out of it (5 total, but not sure how old it was when I took ownership of it). The tubing itself broke yesterday, so now I'm in the market for a new one.

I am using a 12 mil standard (round bubbles) cover, which can be pretty heavy when it gets a little water logged. Also, the widest end of my pool is where my diving board is installed, so we usually lift the reel over the diving board and carry it across the yard to a place in the shade of some trees to keep the sun off the cover when it's on the reel. Is it likely this transporting and lifting of the reel with the cover on it is what broke the tubing/inserts?

I've seen many endorsements for the Rocky's Roller on here, and the 10 year warranty definitely got my attention, but I found a copy of the warranty and it states that the tubing is not covered. Considering that the tubing is 80% of the cost of the reel, this left me a bit underwhelmed. The couple of times I spoke to Horizon, their customer service was superb, and it's hard to fault a reel for failing when it wasn't assembled properly, but the number of failures I had makes me hesitant to get another Horizon.

I should also mention that we leave the reel outside and uncovered year round (I have no where to store 22 feet of reel indoors :lol: ), and the winters are pretty harsh here.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or recommendations anyone could provide would be welcomed.

It sounds like Horizon has treated you pretty well. I'd at least consider them. I agree that the tube is the biggest part of the unit and for a mfg not to warranty it wouldn't give me a good feeling. I'd be tempted to go with Horizon again and this time you can make sure it's assembled properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.