Oct 2, 2007
DE
I have never had this problem before. For some reason, birds have decided to use my pool this year as their own toilet. It might be a funny story later after I resolve this issue but what do I do to discourage them?

We noticed last month when we took the cover off that there was an enormous amount of bird droppings on the cover. the sides of the pool and the little deck had lots too.(We throw the cover away) I told my husband it has never looked like that other years. We scrubbed the sides and the ledge that they began to perch on after we got the water flowing. We tried scaring them away but when I am in my kitchen I can watch them play their game. Here is what they are doing now: We have about a half acre yard. We have a line of trees (mostly leylands and maples) on each side of the yard. They are probably nesting in the trees- because I hear them all the time. The pool is in the middle of the yard with no trees around it. They start on flying across the yard hover over the pool-- poop-- and then keep flying to the other side of trees. It seems that they are doing this for the enjoyment of the other birds- because they are taking turns. Everyday there is tons of bird poop in the filter and tons of it on the floor of the pool floor which I need to vacuum. I used to be able to go almost 2 weeks, well week and a half between vacuuming. I could probably vacuum 3 times a day or more now. Also I found a dead baby bird in my skimmer basket last week!!

What is a deterant? please help.

--Suzanne

I had a simmilar issue with grackles (black bird). They clean their nest by taking the bird droppings and dropping them in water. I removed the nest that was closest to the pool and they for the most part have left. I still find a dropping every once in a while floating.

Yes-- they are black birds. I think their nest is way up high in the leyland. It is probably 15 or 20 feet high.
It seemed to me that they were making this an Olympic event. Grading each other on style points as they hoover and drop over the pool.

Thanks. Going to see what to do about de-nesting the trees.

Suzanne

"I think the golfers would mind having to duck".

It is acceptable golf ediquitte to take a shot as long as you yell "four" after you pull the trigger. :eek:

A blow-up owl might help keep them away. We have local farmers that use them to on the hay sheds to keep birds from nesting in their hay.

BB gun...

Last year one of my kids decided to shoot ONE bird. Then he and the cat tried to give it medical attention... ya right...

Birds left my yard that day and have YET to really return even though I have feeders out all over. Seems he ticked them off big time.

You could always get one of the more powerful AirSoft rifles. They should be deadly to the bird, but not so much for the golfers. And if you are a green freak, the havi biodegadable bb's.
And yes, if you drop one or two and leave them lay in the yard for a day or two you will have no more problems. They seem to know where they are not wanted.
Good luck and happy hunting. :goodjob:

I see youre in Texas too. It is perfectly legal to kill Grackles but if you are in city limits it may be illegal to discharge a pellet or BB gun. The airsoft sounds like a viable idea though. The plastic owls may work too and are well worth a try. Feed and farm stores usually have them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't believe there is someone here having the same exact problem as I am this year!

I've been living in this house for 15 years and never had this issue. I needed to run my automatic vacuum all day Saturday and Sunday to keep up with it. They are the same type of bird and I live in Massachusetts!

I'm going to opt with the BB gun, but I'm a bit rusty, so this could take a while. I honestly don't think the owl will work on "my" birds, since they were dropping presents while I was sitting with my feet in the water! This calls for drastic and terminal measures. IMO.

Re: Fishing line.
The birds don't actually HIT the lines - they SEE the lines and think it is some form of web or other obstruction, and avoid the area. You don't need enough to create a net or web of them, just a few strung over the pool in their airspace should do it. Mono-filament is the line of choice.

A new updated to this old thread. Never post back my results. But, since I had the same problem this spring, only worse! I figured I'd let everyone with bird issues know that the fishing line works like a champ!! I installed two lines from my house to a couple of trees behind the back fence and a couple of lines running vertically from the lines to the top of my fence. Amazing, haven't had to hose down the deck or vacuum out birdcrap ever since. The first day it was up, I watched a couple of birds start to divebomb the pool, they saw the lines made a quick turn a loud suprised squel and I never saw them over the pool again...

It works, confirmed solution to a nasty issue!!

PS... I do owe XsAllOverIt a 6 pack if he wants to collect!

Is it possible to post a pick so I can see your solution, I grapple with these stupid birds every year, I hate hate hate them, they are disghusting things and the only redeeming quality is they will leave soon.
Since I moved into my house I have pulled down a total of 27 birds nests from my spruce hedge, but now they are on my neighbours property.

I'd really appreciated a pic.

The fishing line I have used is extremely thin and clear, you have to squint to see it with the naked eye. I will see if a picture from my balcony will show the lines. But, to sum it up.. there is one line running along each edge of the pool about 12 feet above the ground. Then where those two lines pass over my back fence I tossed a line over each and attached them to the fence (like an upside down W). I wasn't at all convinced it would work, but I was at my wits end washing the cement around my pool with a hose daily and needing to vacuum twice a day.

Problem completely solved. Not one dropping with the fishing line in place. If you have anyway of running lines, just a couple over the pool 10 to 15 feet high, it will work.

Good Luck.

I appreciate I probably won't see the lines but if I see it and read your overview I'll understand it better, I'm a bit dense that way, a pic would be appreciated.
I've thought of this approach before but, like you, I didn't think it would work. Based on your review I think I'll give it a try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.