Can't identify this funnel Pool Equipment and its use (Pics)

Jun 2, 2011
Bought the house with pool. I cannot identify this funnel shaped pool equipment nor does my pool closing company guy.

Pool was built by Anthony Sullivan (35000 gallons) in 1994. I am trying to install a SWCG and wanted to see if I can get rid of this funnel shape thing.
[attachment=2:2gzxvlb6]IMG_0110.jpg[/attachment:2gzxvlb6]

Also there is this pipe which goes 2 feet from ground and goes back in ground. Not sure what this is either.
[attachment=0:2gzxvlb6]IMG_0114-1.jpg[/attachment:2gzxvlb6]

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0114-1.jpg
    IMG_0114-1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 252
Re: Can't identify this funnel Pool Equipment and its use (P

That's a venturi. Probably had some sort of automatic chlorinator at some point in the past.
http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/shop/cat ... tID=08-013
08-013_lg.jpg

The other pipe is probably where they removed something else, and that's how it got pieced back together. I have a mystery stub with a cap on it on my pad, that I assume goes to the mystery port with a broken-off threaded elbow in the side wall of my pool. But I've never sawed the cap off to check; it could just as easily be a freshwater line that never got a hose bib attached that was installed when they put in the sprinklers.

X2 - The venturi causes an increase in velocity which translates to a pressure differential between the beginning of the nozzle and the middle of the nozzle. The middle of the nozzle has the lower pressure differential which will cause a fluid medium to be pulled into the venturi (think carburetor or your wife's perfume pump bottle).

Doug

The cone thing is a venturi, designed to suck "something" into the system. This can either be an Ozone Generator, or an old style Salt system (off line brine system like a Unichlor, http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_uni ... rator.aspx (look at part number 20 in this link). The plumbing loop with the check valve is most likely a hartford loop and is located before an erosion tablet feeder, to prevent a backflow of strong chemicals when the pump is off.

Thanks everyone. In the last picture you can see I have 3 pipes going underground. The one labeled Pool return is the only one I could identify as when I close that using the black valve next to it then it stops water coming out of pool returns.

The other two pipes -- One should be the intake coming from filter/heater. The third pipe I have no idea. It has to some kind of return but not sure where it is going. Any one knows or ideas to check. I hate to start digging to find out.

Also when installing salt water system should I leave this as is and just update the space I have between heater and this thing? I am afraid to touch this as I don't know what this is.

Thanks
----------------
20x40 oval Pool with spa -- 35000 gallons
Polaris 180, 2HP motor, Nature2, Anthony DE pump.

Either way, you can clean things up, or leave them alone. There isn't any harm in removing the Venturi and it's bypass. There is nothing connected to it's input port, so it isn't being used for anything right now. As for the rest of the unexplained parts, I suspect a lot more would be cleared up if you dug down 6 or 8 inches to see how things connect underground. It looks to me like things are going underground and coming back up right at the equipment pad, which would clear up some of the mysteries.

rsangal,

You can cut out the venturi manifold assembly. This is the entire contraption with the funnel shaped piece, and the bypass valve below it. So, coming from from the ground (as Jason said, you can dig down about 6" and see more of what's going on) cut the pipe before the "Tee" going to the valve, then cut the pipe after the 90 ELL going into the three way valve. Then, reglue pipe from one point to the other point and your venturi is gone.
There's probably enough space for you to plumb the salt system's cell in this place.

The position opposite to the POOL RETURN may be a spa return? I see one pipe labeled Spa In. Do you have a single pump for your pool and spa? If so, there's usually a common set of plumbing with valves that allow you to isolate one or the other. In most pool/spa combinations, where the spa overflows into the pool, the three way valve is positions partially opened to the pool with most of the water returning to the spa and overflowing into the pool, with a little bit of water going directly back to the pool.

If you send another photo of your equipment pad further back so we can see the full set up, that would help.

I doubt this is the spa return as there is another spa return with partial valve. I have attached entire equipment picture here with labels of things I know for sure.

My pool guy is telling me to leave this venturi as is and replace the Nature 2 with Salt water system rather then digging etc. I still would like to figure out the return when I close the pool return of venturi.

For salt water system do I need to change the metal pipes too. I am replacing the DE filter with Hayward cartridge filter but not changing the heater.

Thanks,
Rohit

Attachments

• IMG_0134-1.jpg
    IMG_0134-1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0133-1.jpg
    IMG_0133-1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 160

First, there is no need for the venturi manifold assembly. You Should remove this. Leaving it creates more piping for the water to go through, which reduces the efficiency of your system. Digging down 6" should not be difficult, as it's dirt, or dirt and some gravel.

You have an automatic valve actuator on the three way valve after the Nature 2. This SHOULD be your pool or spa valve, correct? If you put it in the spa position, do you see any effects from closing the other three way valve (after the venturi). It doesn't make much sense for the plumbing as it appears. It would make sense for the pool side return on the automatic valve actuator to go down, run horizontal to the venturi manifold, then to the three way valve and back to your pool. However, the line marked Pool Return is easy to understand, but not the other. Do you have a seat in the pool with hydrotherapy jets on them? Or any other water features (water falls other than from your spa spillover, deck jets, slide, etc)?
The loop, next to the nature 2, I still think is a hartford loop to prevent chemical back flow. However, there are no pipes going to it.

You would really be able to tell alot more by digging down a little to see what is running to what. Especially if you're replacing your filter. If you can cut out and eliminate some excess piping and fittings, your system would be much more efficient, which will let your pump run easier, and potentially reduce your electrical cost to run the pump.

Now you've piqued my curiosity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I will try to do some digging to find out. I was able to locate the oder agreement of Anthony Pools and previous owner. One of the things marked Yes is "Anthony Floor Circulation System -- Type: AnthoFlow" This is listed under Antho Care Package. Any idea? Could this some kind of pressure based water coming out of drains? It is listed next to Polaris 180 so might be just the polaris pump needed for 180.

Do you have multiple fittings on the floor of the pool that pop up? This is the flow circulation system. There should be a valve actuator gear assembly by your equipment, about 9" round with a bunch of pipes straight below it.

It usually takes a good amount of flow to go through the gear assembly, so I don't know if that would be where the third unknown pipe is going to. Do you see a gear assembly around your equipment?

The Polaris booster pump and pressure side cleaner should be on it's own circulation/plumbing system, with the exception of the suction side of the booster pump drawing water from the main circulation system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.