SWG, liner leaks & Aluminum pools - warranty question

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
Let me start off with I am investigating my options as a first time buyer. I will be doing the install myself as I'm a heavy DIY type person as it's the only way to truly save money on just about any project. With that said, I like the idea of the all resin setup until I discovered that all-resin pools almost always come with coated steel sides. Not a big deal except that I plan on getting an AquaTrol SWG for a my chlorine requirements and fear that a liner leak would lead to side wall corrosion from the inside out. So, I have been looking at the aluminum pools and don't much care for the price increase and I'm also fearful of the pliability of the Aluminum components since most come with Aluminum everything (top rails, side supports, base plates, top plates, wall ... everything). I know they have warranties so I shouldn't be worried about possible metal fatigue, but since the SWG voids most warranties, I'm kinda S.O.L should anything happen to the Aluminum. Is my fear unfounded? Do most Aluminum pools void their warranty with SWG use? Perhaps my fear is unfounded as I plan to pad the inside of the wall anyways and saltwater shouldn't actually contact the inner wall ... unless the foam allows seepage, but shouldn't. Any advice you can give on which pool components to get knowing the following is greatly appreciated.

1) I know I want an AquaTrol system based on praise and price.
2) I hear that most makers void their warranty with SWG usage (based on searches here).
3) I know accidents do happen and liners do get compromised ... I have a son that I'm sure will test this ... nay, I can guarantee that he will. :D
4) I assume I can take pretty good precautions on the inside of the walls to ensure if this does happen, chances of corrosion will be minimized.
5) I'm leaning toward the Swim 'n Play brand.

Aluminum pools IMHO tend to be built very well, but from what I recall the pool wall is still electroplated steel...not aluminum. I may be wrong :scratch:

That said...I have a nice cheap resin pool and SWG corosion is not an issue....FWIW, you can see another post I made here for my thoughts :goodjob:

Suziqzer said:
If you're really concerned about leaks you can put gorilla pad on under the liner and pool insulation on the sidewalls before you put in the liner. Gives the liner a little bit of cushion.
That's the plan ... about the pool foundation plan, here is what I wish to do:

1) Excavate a 33' circle 5" deep at the lowest point. This will provide a 3' area around the pool so when I mow/trim, I won't come anywhere near the pool.
2) Back-fill 3 inches with crushed limestone and plate compact followed by 1" of limestone dust, also compacted. The "base" will be concrete solid with 0% chance of weed grow-through.
3) The final inch will be sand under the pool and white quartz chips or river rounds outside the pool.

My question is should I use sand over the already 4" limestone compacted base, or merely the gorilla pad. I already planned on the foam cove, pad and wall padding, just wasn't sure if there needs to be softness under the pad as it's more like a blanket from what I have seen online. As it stands now, I'm planning on sand covered with the pad, but want to know what others have done and how they like it? I'd like to avoid footprints under the liner for a clean professional look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.