salt demand question

Apr 12, 2009
I converted to a Hayward SWG when I opened this spring. I put 800lb of salt which got my salt level up to about 3400. Well, my pool's been up and running for a month now and my salt level is down to 2700 which is the lower end of the recommended range.

Is the salt level dropping faster than I should expect?

For the past few years I've thought that I was adding water a little too often. If I don't have a rain I have to add about 3" of water every 3-4 days so I guess I could have a leak somewhere. I haven't done the bucket test to see if the levels drop the same. I did have the liner replaced last spring which didn't seem to change the water requirement and I don't see any obvious wet spots.

Any suggestions?

I'll do the bucket test tomorrow but I'm sure I'll have a leak somewhere in the plumbing. What can be done about it? Is it worth digging up all the plumbing to find the leak when its not obvious where its coming from. Is there something I can put in there to plug it up without digging it up?

I'm in the Triad area of NC. My liner needed to be anyway so the possible leak wasn't the reason I did that.

If you're losing an inch a day then at some point it becomes enough to warrant fixing the leak, unless your water and chemicals are free. Once you do the bucket test we can help you narrow down the location of the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.