Help Just a little cloudy

CON

May 12, 2011
Intex Above ground pool
5000 gallon
SWG
2000 gal pump
paper filter

FC 4 I have been trying to keep it around 3-5 I have used liquid chlorine. I just put up the new pool a couple weeks ago. So I am just learning.
TC 4
PH 7.4
TA 140
CYA tester has been ordered. I have added 36 oz of cyanuric acid 100% . I used the sock in the skimmer.It just finished dissolving today.I will add more this weekend. I can estimate it at aprox 50-54

Saturday morning it was beautiful. Today it was a little cloudy.I checked the filter and it looked like Crud.I had not checked the filter as it was 2 weeks old.We keep the pool covered so I was surprised to see how dirty it was. Lesson learned.
Is it cloudy because of the dirty filter? I checked the filter because I could tell the pressure was lower when I held my hand in front of the water jet.
Did I lose CYA because I changed filter ?
I have put in a new filter snd will continue to keep the pump running. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help. Someday I will be better at this thanks to this site : )

test kit is a taylor K-1000 drop kit

Well, I see one problem. I double checked, and pool volume is approximately correct, depending on actual water level. So, I went to Pool Calculator. 36 oz of CYA raises CYA to 54, so FC should be 4-8. You're right on the threshold of an algae bloom, barely keeping things in check. I'd jack the FC up to about 17, which will take 136 oz of 6% bleach. And keep it there until the water looks all sparkly again.

Yes, they can swim. It will come down very quickly. I suggest putting it in just before dark and then again if it's not clear the next night.

Keep that filter clean and the pump running 24/7 until it is crystal clear again.

I am a bit confused. I looked at the CYA to FC chart and for SWG it shows target FC at 4 with CYA of 60. Why should I be concerned about algae? I have been targeting 4. Of course I have dropped a bit below that prior to adding chlorine.But you guys are suggesting get the FC up to 17. PLease teach me more. I had enough liquid chlorine to get me up to about 8 tonight. I could also run the SWG a while and raise it more. I will pick up some bleach tomorrow. I am just confused about your suggestion. Thanks

Hopefully this will explain it, and save me the typing! pool-school/defeating_algae

Briefly, algae got a start. You're killing it at roughly the same rate it reproduces. It turns whitish when it's dead, which is why the water isn't so clear anymore. By jacking the FC up so high, you kill it much faster than it can reproduce, which eliminates it completely. The dead algae gets filtered out or vacuumed up, pool is crystal clear again.

Ok I think I understand. I just checked and my CYA tested should be delivered today so I can confirm CYA level.So what should I actually target as FC level if my CYA is actually 50-55 ? 7 ?
If so my FC tester only reads up to 5 ?

CON said:
Ok I think I understand. I just checked and my CYA tested should be delivered today so I can confirm CYA level.So what should I actually target as FC level if my CYA is actually 50-55 ? 7 ?
If so my FC tester only reads up to 5 ?
Hindsight is always 20/20!! You coulda ordered a FAS-DPD chlorine test when you ordered the CYA tester. It will read FC up to 50 ppm.

Reread the link again, it explains how to use Pool Calculator. Without the right FC tester, the best you can do is dilute your sample 1:3 or 1:4 with distilled water (if you have a water filter on the refrigerator or kitchen sink, that should work, too) then multiply your result accordingly. But it won't be very accurate, so round UP when calculating dosages!

ok I just checked cya and it is actually 30. I checked the container and I actually didn't add the full 36 oz. I remembered after I saw it setting by the chlorine last night.
FC is running about 5 and TC is 5
pH 7.4
pump ran all night and all day. Had kids swimming today. Water is still cloudy.Last night I added enough chlorine to get the FC up to my guess is around 8-9. It was off the chart on my drop test this morning.
I have some bleach. Based on the fact that my CYA is actually 30. What should I do to clear up the pool. Don't misunderstand.It is not bad just not crystal clear. Headed to read more right now. Thanks !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.