couldnt stay away from pool store

May 25, 2011
New to BBB this year, due the the great knowledge available here my pool is looking spectacular..I had to go to the pool store to have a cya test( i have no test left) and to laugh at their recommendations. They wanted me to add 31 pounds of their optimizer plus lol.
tc 5 ph 7.8 ta 150 cya 33 whats the best way to raise cya to 50 i have cynuric acid and trichlor tabs available. also how about ph should i lower it to lower ta or what. it was down to 7.2 and aerated to 7.6 then jumped up a bit after having a pool full of kids. any help appreciated thank you tfp.

Put it in a sock, either hang it in front of the return or you can put the sock in the skimmer as long as it is running the whole time. I tye mine to a chunk of pool noodle and let it float around.

From a post I made about 6 weeks ago ... HTH :wave: :goodjob:

I used an old "boot sock" - one that I used when hiking (its "mate" developed a hole in the toe so my wife pronounced the pair "dead") ... but I digress ...

I initially hung the CYA laden sock near the deep end ladder - it was still in the circulation pattern and "out of the way", but I noticed it wasn't dissolving as quickly as I wanted (water doesn't flow out of the faucet fast enough either) - so I moved it to the skimmer basket. It took about 2 days to dissolve.

My point is - the boot sock is a very heavy weave - yet very porus - so placing it into the skimmer with the additional flow seemed to dissolve the CYA much quicker than just hanging it off the ladder. None of the particles get hung up in the filter when pouring it straight into the skimmer and they don't settle to the bottom if broadcast dispersion is used.

I'm still kinda green with the BBB method and I'm learning every day from all the great posts here - just sharing my new observations. HTH !!!

Mike

NWMNMom - That's a great idea. I have a noodle that's close to the end of it's "life" and I think I know what it's afterlife will be! :goodjob: :cheers:

For TA:

My method may be a little less orthadox. I like to maintain my TA indirectly. I do not really worry about the numbers, or chase the "ideal" number. Instead, I just monitor pH.

If I am having poblems with my pH bouncing around too much, I will calm it down with some nice... "soothing" baking soda.

If my pH keeps rising... Well... I just keep knocking it down to about 7.2 with acid. The rising pH is a symptom of too high of TA, and the acid will lower the TA nicely.

Eventually, things just hit a nice equalibrium where I don't have to worry that much about either pH OR TA.

I do occasionally test my TA, along with my CH to make sure my CSI is in line. But as long as that's cool, the TA can be whatever number it feels like being.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.