McDonough, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
As some of you know I was having self inflicted filter issues and thought my pool was cloudy from the lack of filtration. I fixed my filter issue last night and since this has happened I have been closely watching my CL level. I was losing 3ppm daily of CL in full sun and it never went below 3ppm CL nightly. Last night I decided to go ahead and shock the pool to 15 and this morning I had a 2ppm loss. I also had added a skimmer sock which this morning was mustard yellow looking. I went ahead and raised my CL level to 21ppm for Mustard Algae, brushed the pool and checked the CL again and I lost 5ppm of CL in about an hour. My CC is still and has been showing .5 or less since the beginning of the filter issue.

Game Plan:
I have lowered my PH to 7.2
Will continue shocking at Mustard Algae level until the water is clear and I pass the overnight loss test.
Brush, Brush, Brush
Wash everything that has gone to the pool.

Would I benefit from anything else besides adding chlorine?

In all my years with an Intex pools, I’ve never had Mustard algae and the only place I can think this came from is the used pool steps from Craig’s List and the only place I didn’t clean before I put it in the pool was the inside of the metal railings.

CYA: 30
TA: 70
PH: 7.2
CL: 21
CC: ~.5
CH: <100

update: 6/9/2011

I held the FC at 20 yesterday as best I could with adding bleach every hour and last night I adjusted my level to 20 and turned on the Liquidator with 4 gls of 10% CL. This morning I was at 22ppm and the LQ is out of 10%. Whatever this is I hope the CDC doesn't want to quarantine my pool. :-D I'm still cloudy, but I can see a difference and maybe just a hint of sparkle to give me reassurance.

Because mustard algae tends to cling to walls and pool floors, I'm not positive it would get caught up in the skimmer socks. It may be pollen.

Regardless, chlorine is the answer and you are doing the right thing. Chlorine and filtration are the two key ingredients to a crystal clear pool and it sounds like you are headed down that path.

I have been shock level for mustard algae for the past two days and want your thoughts about lowering to normal shock level until I pass the overnight chlorine test now. The pool is mostly clear and I think I'm filtering out the Georgia Red Clay that was "dusted" into my pool while backfilling around the pool when it was installed. I had to leave the pool today for work and my level CL dropped to 13ppm from 23 this morning at 5:30, I've taken it back up to 19ppm currently.

I also added enough CYA to raise it to 40 yesterday because when I tested it I read 25 and I know I was a little above 30 when I started shocking on Weds. Plus, I'm trying to cut the extreme CL loss during the day. After I finish shocking I plan on raising the CYA level to 50 because of the extreme heat and full sun all day.

Thanks for your help

I took a swim tonight before I vacuumed and saw what appeared to be red clay dust with a white “bacteria” in the middle of the dirt. The bacteria looked to have a skin over the top and didn’t have much consistency to them. This white stuff didn’t look like the normal alga that grows. The whole pool is not covered in these, just maybe 20 spots. I also was able to remove the handrails and just as I expected black crud came out. I have taken them out and filled them up with chlorine solution to sit overnight and will brush them out in the morning.

Update: I PASSED my overnight chlorine loss test, but my water is still a bit cloudy and I found more of the white stuff on the pool bottom this morning. In some places it looked more like bird poop on the bottom. I will at least carry the shock process through tonight and check the loss again in the morning and “bird poop infection”
PH: ~7.2
FC: 25
CC: =<.5
CYA: 40
TA: ~70

Update and Comments Please:
My pool has passed the overnight chlorine loss tests for 3 nights. Last night and this morning I ran a CYA test and it is down to low 20 -25. I started on Wednesday with 30, tested Thursday and it was ~25 and added 1.75 lbs of CYA through pantyhose in the skimmer to bring it to 40.

Where did the CYA go? I have not backwashed.

The pool was still very cloudy on Saturday, so I went to Leslie’s and purchased a product called Leslie’s Ultra Bright. On Sunday morning and afternoon I added regular dose’s to the pool and by Sunday evening the pool was clear and looking great. I had to clean my skimmer sock 4 times during the day because of what appeared to be red dirt and I was nervous about it breaking back down and getting back in the pool. Today I’m going to adjust the PH after the chlorine comes down some more and add enough CYA to get it back to 40. The “Infection” spots have not reappeared since Sunday morning when I started the Ultra Bright treatment.

Is their a dark side on using Ultra Bright?

TC: 12.5
CC: < .5
CYA: 20 - 25
PH: ~8.2
TA: 80
CH: 20

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

I tested my PH this evening and it came back down to 7.2 with my TC of 6ppm without adding acid. I'm currently bringing my CYA back up to see if it will disappear again.

I filled my pool with Crystals just for you, all the mods on TFP and along with everyone who contributes to make this site positive and enjoyable.

Thanks for the support,
Bill

5830073819_7bbdea2412.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bill, I don't know how I have missed this thread, but it has been an enjoyable read!

I am sorry that you had problems, but your writing talent made me LOL :lol:

You did a good job! :goodjob:

And, shame on you for not warning us to put on our sunglasses before you posted that pic of your pool with the crystals! :mrgreen:

Thanks Butterfly, I'm glad I wasn't too painful in my blogging. Sorry I should have told you to put on some cheap Sunglasses :p

BTW for the record, this Shocking process took 30 gallons of 6% bleach, 4 gallons of 10%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.