Can You Stand Another LQ Flow Question?

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
Got my LQ and hooked it up and its running, just not as I expected. Immediately I had no flow from the unit with the flow adjustment valve wide open. I had hooked up the "out" port to the strainer basket drain as suggested in other posts. I thought that the check valve on the "out" side was the problem, so I swapped it out with a union. Still no flow. I remembered Bama Rambler suggesting that you retard the valve from the strainer basket and voila, I had flow. I took my pump pressure from 11.5 down to 10 and got 3.5 on the flow meter. The only way to get more flow was to retard the valve more, which in turn decreased the pump pressure reading and made the pump motor sound like it was straining. It's working, just not as I would like. I hooked up the "in" side as close to the filter as the directions stated, drilled a hole and used their hose clamp. If I have to move any of these fittings I'm O.K. with that. I don't know if the gate valves are the issue, the puck chlorinator (for vaca only), or what? Do I need to replace the check valve on the "out side"? Attached are some pics of the setup, and any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
DSC00834.jpg
DSC00835.jpg
DSC00842.jpg
DSC00843.jpg
DSC00839.jpg
DSC00836.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

Sure we can stand another question or two. :)

I have a few things you can try. You have one of those systems that are great for the pool but bad for the LQ.
Please try these one at a time so we'll know what works and what works best. There's no particular order to the steps, I just numbered them for the visual effect.

1) Unhook the zip ties and lower the LQ outlet line down as low as possible. The way it's ran now it has to rely on suction head from the pump to move the water since the line is above the level in the LQ. It gets no help from gravity.

2) Get a male threaded fitting and enough reducers to go into the top of the cleanout Tee and hook the outlet of the LQ there. You can just tap and thread the plug in the tee if you'd rather.

3) You can try a skimmer sock to increase your suction head, but I think that will help the least.

4) Change out the outlet check valve with a larger low cracking pressure valve.

I wouldn't change the inlet side. I think it's fine the way it is.

The only difference from mine is I have a "T" PVC connection for the input side of the LQ.

Thanks so much for the tips, I will try them. I have a skimmer sock already in use and is choked by cottonwoods. lol
Good eye on the cleanout tee. I use that when it's time to pump it down for the winter. I hook up a hose fitting into the tee and bypass the skimmer vac plate, so when the water drops below the skimmer I don't loose suction. I know it's not the correct style fitting, but it works. After this season is over I'm going to put in a Tee fitting on the "in" side also to cover the hole I drilled!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.