tfteskits cya test

Jun 6, 2011
does the tfteskits cya tester give a numerical read?
I have absolutely no faith in the "black dot" tester in my kit.
All of the pool stores around here use similar testers and the results can vary tremendously.
Ideally i'm looking for a cya test that is both accurate and reasonably easy to use.
thanks

The TF100 includes a black dot CYA test. The final result is a number, but you get the number by filling the tube until the black dot disappears and then seeing how far up the tub you filled it. This is the best CYA test available for any reasonable amount of money. To get something significantly better costs hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the info.
Is there a primer on this site somewhere about how to conduct a cya test? My taylor kit says to add the reagent/water mix untill the black dot "first" disappears. I'm not sure what that means, or how best to conduct the test.

JasonLion said:
The TF100 includes a black dot CYA test. The final result is a number, but you get the number by filling the tube until the black dot disappears and then seeing how far up the tub you filled it. This is the best CYA test available for any reasonable amount of money. To get something significantly better costs hundreds of dollars.

Jason,
Please define "signifcantly better" & when you say hundreds of dollars, can you be more specific and a give a product example. I too am one that really strugles with the accuracy of the black dot test.

The black dot CYA test tends to be +-15. With experience and training using a reference solution you can often get that down to +-10. To do better than that you would need at a minimum something like an Oakton C102, which claims +-4 though it requires very careful usage to achieve that, and goes for around $320. And even that is going to be a little quirky and can give misleading results if you don't understand it's limitations or are trying to test something outside its range.

With a little reading of the extended test kit directions and some practice nearly anyone can use the black dot test quite successfully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.