What is in my water ?: Finally!!

Jun 7, 2011
Mountaintop, PA
First, I would like to say, long time reader, first time poster. I made the mistake is trying to take pool guy advice first at the store, then my own ideas until finalyl following pool school.

However, I ran into a snag. I ordered the K2006, but I have the generic test kits, two actually form Home Depot and Wal-Mart to hold over until then. All of my "vitals" were good as far as i know.

FC 5ppm
pH 7.2
TA 150 ppm
CYA 35ppm

FC was steady over night, but since the first day of shocking, pool has been a murky green, FC has been holding steady for three days now with slight bleach adds. I finally caved and had my wife run a water sample to the pool store, i suspected metals from all of my online research. The store said it was high Iron, no ppm provided, I already purchased metal magic and poured the quart in last night. Backwashed this morning, dark green,black and brown water came out for 30 seconds and then went to slight orange and then cleared. The pool water color is the same today though. Have to add water from a well, but hose water is treated with a H2)2 dosing system and a softener, should be no Iron in that water. I am lost, where to go next.

Re: Metals?

Metals can turn the water a clear transparent green, but they will never cause the water to be cloudy or murky. If the water is green and murky it is almost certainly algae. If you have passed the overnight FC loss test that means most of the algae is dead, but you still need to get the dead algae, or whatever is causing the murkiness, out of the water.

How has your filter been behaving?

What was happening when the water first stopped being clear?

Pressure was heading north about 5 psi, waited to 8-10 to backwash. Came out slightly cloudy and then that was it. Pressure is reamaining steady around 18 psi.

I also orded DE to add that to raise 1 psi and hopefully enhance the filtering.

Would also like to add that the water is more gray than green, but green.

Everything you have said is consistent with being in the latter stages of cleaning up after algae. Give the filter another couple of days to get the rest of the murkiness out of the water. You should see a visible improvement each day. If you aren't seeing an improvement each day then worry about it.

Posting pictures for another perspective. Chlroine level did drop, current test only goes to 5, but it is much darker than that. Still look like algae??
IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Algae or metals?

No method to measure at this point. All I am going on is the word of the pool guy that my wife took the sample to. He said all is good except Iron is too high. I used Metal Magic in 13,500 gallons and no change whatsoever, I also added DE to sand filter via pool school instructions. I am back to shocking again.

Re: Algae or metals?

Two bottles are boderline not enough. Shock level is around 16 and the key to shocking is to maintain that level. If you are adding two large 1.42gal 6% bleach bottles, you'd only be increasing FC by about 12 plus what is already in the water.

From Pool School:

To shock, it is a huge help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level. It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when shocking.

Shocking:
1) Measure the FC level

2) Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
1) CC is 0.5 or lower;

2) An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

3) And the water is clear.

Brush the entire pool once a day

Backwash or clean the filter as needed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.