Pool Frog and Shock - cloudy water

ptisch

Jun 7, 2011
Genoa City, WI
Hello,
This is our second year with a 28000 gallon inground concrete pool. This year we had a pool frog mineral system installed. Everything was working great and crystal clear and I was overconfident. It got cloudy.

Last year - the pool store convinced me to use Baquacil, which turned out to be quite expensive and fussy. This year we have switched. The pool frog uses a bromine pellets and I have been shocking with the regular bags of chlorine shock from Walmart. It does turn green everytime I add shock and I am wondering if there is a different shock I should be using.

I used the test strips and with the results I ended up adding more shock and 1 gallon of muriatic acid. Today I bought a test kit and the numbers are such:

ph 7.2
ta 140
cya 0
chlorine/bromine 0
hardness 300

I am not sure how to interpret these. It seams I should shock more. But I think the cloudiness could be caused by the filter. (they did not change the sand post Baquacil) Just looking for some input here.

Thanks so much!

I'm going to tell you this as kindly as I can - you are being pool stored. Several times over. :cry: :cry:

I've not heard of a version of the frog that uses Bromine - are you sure?

You have to change sand after using Baq.

You need a reliable test kit so you can stop going to the pool store where they are ripping off your hard earned money and stearing you down the wrong path for a second time...

Please read this:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

and then the articles in pool school. I am a former frog user, its what led me here to TFP in the first place five summers ago. I used to spend hundreds of dollars each summer and now I spend less than $100 a season on my pool.

I have nothing to gain by telling you this - I'm just letting you know there are much easier, cheaper, and frustration free solutions than the Pool Frog and any other gimmick the pool store will sell you. :)

Just for reinforcement I too was jumped on by the Frog!
Take heed to what FPM is telling you. There are several versions of the Frog but I to have never heard of one that uses Bromine.

Turning green whenever you add shock is an indication of metals in your water. The Frog adds metals.
Are you on a well that has metals in it? If you're on public water you can get a water report and it lists what's in it.

You can use the frog, but there's two things you need to do.
1) Don't replace the mineral pak.
2) Keep a close eye on your CYA and when it gets high either stop using it or be prepared to drain water.

Since you know you have iron you will have to use sequestrant to keep it from staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.