New to BBB and wanted to confirm CYA/FC levels

May 7, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
I completed the conversion from Baqua about two weeks ago and things have been going pretty well. However, for the past 2 days the water isn't the beautiful crystal clear that it has been and is noticeably a little cloudy. Current readings at 9pm are:

FC - 0 (dosed it up to 4 this morning?)
CC - 0.5
CYA - 20 (added enough to get to 30 at the end of the conversion and added enough to go from 20 to 30 again 6 days ago)
TA - 150
pH - 7.8

We've had record high temperatures for the past several days (97 today) and my pool has no shade. My question is, where should I be maintaining the CYA and FC. I started with the standard CYA=30 and FC Target=4 coming off of the conversion but have noticed the CYA/FC chart has other possibilities. If I raise the CYA level, although I seem to be having problems even getting to 30, will that help hold the FC and perhaps lower the amount of bleach I have to add daily. FC has been 0 ppm 7 out of the past 8 mornings.

Also, pump has run 24/7 since beginning the conversion so I'm not sure what might be causing the cloudiness.

Comments/Guidance appreciated.

Where are you purchasing the CYA and are you sure its 96-100%? Some pool stores sell a brand that is only 50% strength.

I would target 50, assuming you are using bleach daily and not tablets?

Your pool is cloudy because you are one step ahead of an algae bloom because of low chlorine.

Are you adding chlorine at night, and finding it at 0 in the morning? That means you need to shock the pool, if thats the case.

Did you change out your sand after you did the conversion?

I concur with mom.

You would be a good candidate for trichlor powder. It dissolves fast, adds chlorine, and gets CYA up in the bargain. I'd look up how much you will need to raise CYA to 50, and buy just that much. Then use it as needed to raise FC every day, until it's used up. Then switch back to bleach.

I'm using HTH brand Stabilizer & Conditioner with CYA at 96%. I'll up the CYA to 50 and target the FC to 6. I've been adding 6% bleach in the mornings and it's down to 0 the next morning. I only took the readings this evening because I suspected something was wrong and wanted to get some advice. I changed the sand out after I passed the overnight FC loss test a couple of weeks ago.

Since I already have the CYA, I'd prefer to go ahead and use that vs. the trichlor powder if that's not a problem.

Thanks for your help!

Hung a sock with 54 oz of CYA to increase from 20 to 50 and 168 oz of bleach to increase from 0 to 6 this morning. Sock is almost empty this evening and FC measures 1.5. So the FC didn't totally dissapate. I'm hoping that when the CYA totally dissolves it will help hold the FC level. Water is looking much clearer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.