Requesting feedback on a fiberglass pool quote.

smw

Oct 24, 2007
After meeting with contractor #1 and getting a 4 line estimate 2 weeks later by email, we met with contractor #2 and got a fairly detailed quote on the spot. We like contractor #2 much better (who has very strong community references), but his quote was lot more than what contractor #1.

The quote follows. Anything too high? Where is there room for negotiation? FYI, DC metro area.

14x28 fiberglass St. Augiustine CPC pool: 32,400. Base includes these major items:
- All excavation and hauling (fixed)
- 3' decking stamped concrete around pool
- 1.5 hp Wisperflo pump
- Cartridge Tank
- Standard Cover

Included at no charge for Autumn install:
-color
-perimeter tile
-inlay tile on steps

Extras:
12 volt light: 800
Water feature: 850
Security Cover: 1500
Aqua Comfort HP: 4400 (don't know the size)
Aqua Comfort Salt Generator: 1600

The contractor does not do electric, but estimates that it would run $1.5-3.5k. Fencing needs to be done separately.

Just as a comparison, I have the quote sheet from the CPC dealer we contacted in NoVa. For the Augustine, base price is $30k. which includes delivery, pump, filter, chlorinator, cleaning equipt (manual), PVC, excavation, installation, plumbing, sand, crane, cleanu, rough grading and instructions. They were also offering $1400 in options, 3' of concrete perimeter (not stamped) and 14x14 patio for free (this was in August; not sure if they've discontinued these). Extras included gemstone or custom color (1200), SWG (1200), heat pump (4500), safety cover (900-1600, dep on pool), water feature (600-1000 for cascade; 800-180 for rock waterfall), permieter tile (1400), inlayed step tile (600-1200). So it sounds like your guys are close to the going rate in the DC area...if they have strong references, so much the better. I do know the market here is really slow, so you may be able to get another freebie or two if you hem and haw. One caution: you mentioned that the excavation price is fixed...do they charge more if they hit rock? There can be a ton of it, depending on where you are in Va, and if rock isn't included (which it usually isn't), I'd find out what the hourly rate is in the event they do hit rock. In our case, it ate up a substantial amount of our budget! (And if rock removal is included in that quote, I'd jump on it!)

Vapool: Thanks for the data. Can you pass along who the contractor was? I'm in NoVa. "Freebies" aside, your contractor's offer was a healthy bit lower on corresponding items.

Curiously, a lot of difference was in the pricing out for the "freebies." This is obviously a point on which a contractor can inflate the numbers and made it look like a better deal. My freebies: 2200 for color, 2200 for perimeter tile, and 1400 for step tile - a total of 5800 in freebies, for what your contractor priced at 3200-3800 for the same model pool.

I checked the quote - rock removal is not covered - just all the dirt.

Fiberglass pool

We put in a water world fiberglass pool this year and love it. (www.waterworldpools.com) We got the 14x32 freeform. For the options that you mentioned water world pool would come in at approx $20,000 and that is a pool that is made by them..delivered and installed. I highly recommend them and you can see my posts on here and on Gardenweb.com (with pics) about them and others feedback about them also. I hope this info helps.

Ls

DSC01980a.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.