Water gushing out during backwash - Hayward Sand Filter

Hello!

I'm new to TFP And pool ownership (recently bought a home with an in-ground pool) and I have already found these forums SO helpful!

We've been doing a good job backwashing and rinsing (about once per week) but when I backwashed today I saw that water and sand were literally GUSHING out of the drain pipe (buried pipe drains out to the street) when on the 'backwash' setting. Its like it thinks it is on the 'waste' or 'rinse' setting instead of the backwash setting!

From reading on this forum a bit I think it may be due to the 'spider' valve but I wanted to see if anyone thought it could possibly be anything else before I went ahead and bought a new one. (This is our replacement part: Hayward SP0714T, http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0714T-V ... B00269II66)

Thank you in advance!

Molly
Richmond, VA

Inground, Salt Water, Kidney-Shaped Pool
Vinyl Liner
Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter
AquaRite Electronic Chlorine Generator
Pentair SuperFlo Pump

Hi Molly, forgive me if I misunderstood your question but "backwashing" should in fact direct water and dirt out your waste pipe, (preferably with not too much sand). Backwashing cleans your sand filter by using pool water to port through the filter in a reverse manner and this "dirty" water should go out the waste pipe. Using the rinse mode after backwashing, cleans the lines, and valve, of any remaining dirt.

Hope this helps,
John

Attachments

• backwash.jpeg
    backwash.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 58
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.