First numbers need some help.

Jun 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Some of you may recall my last thread where I was anticipating my new Taylor 2006 kit. On the up side my CYA levels weren't nearly as high as the pool store's computer told me (150) and now I am ready to get my pool in check.

Just a quick rundown - currently using two sticks of trichlor until they disolve in the skimmer then repeating as necessary.

Free Chlorine - Couldn't get it to turn pink so I assume this means Zero
Combined Chlorine 1 - very very light pink one dropped turned it clear again.
PH - 7.0 (color was on the light side but very close)
Total Alk 60
Clacium Hardness 190 - this doesn't seem right, repeated the test again.
Cyanuric Acid 72 (however the dot kept disapeering and then coming back, not sure if I did this exactly right)

So, I want to jump right into the BBB and start saving money - was told that if I posted numbers I would receive help getting pool in check.

Also, the previous owner of this home left an entire case of powder shock - don't know if I can use this or not to help my situation?

First of all... Stop w/the trichlor, you're simply adding more and more cya and will end up with problems if you continue to use it... assuming you have an accurate result.

Cya for an outdoor pool should be 30-80. The more cya you have in your pool, the more chlorine you will need to maintain shock level should you ever need it.

Get your hands on some standard bleach (usually 6%) in the stores, or from the pool supply store (usually sold at 12.5%). They are both the same chemical, sodium hypochlorite, just a different concentration. Make sure you buy the "original scent", none of that fancy stuff which additives, etc.

There is a link someone posted about how to read the cya test, not sure where to tell you to find it... maybe someone can jump in.

Read through the pool school.. there is a mecca of valuable information there and the pool calculator is a must have.

You need will need to use the estimated pool volume calculator at the bottom of that page to find out approx how many gallons of water you have. Put zero in the "now" column for FC. Then decide how much FC you want to have in your pool and put that in the under the "target".

What does your pool water look like at currently? Could tell us whether you need to maintain a shock level or just get your FC in there.

Suziqzer said:
You need will need to use the estimated pool volume calculator at the bottom of that page to find out approx how many gallons of water you have. Put zero in the "now" column for FC. Then decide how much FC you want to have in your pool and put that in the under the "target".

What does your pool water look like at currently? Could tell us whether you need to maintain a shock level or just get your FC in there.

The water looks great right now.

Also looks like the pool calculator isn't that complicated after all. However, what's an acceptable level of Free Chlorine? On pool school it gives a wide range of numbers.

It depends on the CYA level so right now with it at around 70 ppm the minimum FC is 5 ppm but since it drops during the day you want to target higher than that when you add the chlorine and measure it at its lowest point which would be just before you plan to add more (usually at night).

I would get my chlorine level somewhere between 5 and 8 one night, the recommended level for a cya of 70, and check it again first thing in the morning to see if you maintained the level. Likely if your CC was 1 you will need to shock, .5 or less you may be ok. If you don't maintain the level you started with the night before you will need to shock the pool to a chlorine level of 28 and maintain that overnight to be sure you are free of CC. You can find the recommended chlorine levels here... http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

As for using the powder shock that the previous owner left behind... I would only use it if it is chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) w/o any other additives like stabilizer (cya)

Suziqzer said:
As for using the powder shock that the previous owner left behind... I would only use it if it is chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) w/o any other additives like stabilizer (cya)
Powder shock can only be Dichlor, Trichlor, Cal-Hypo or lithium hypochlorite. Dichlor and Trichlor increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA), Cal-Hypo increases Calcium Hardness (CH) while lithium hypochlorite increases neither and would be similar to chlorinating liquid or bleach (except far more expensive).

Suziqzer said:
First of all... Stop w/the trichlor, you're simply adding more and more cya and will end up with problems if you continue to use it... assuming you have an accurate result.

Cya for an outdoor pool should be 30-80. The more cya you have in your pool, the more chlorine you will need to maintain shock level should you ever need it.

Get your hands on some standard bleach (usually 6%) in the stores, or from the pool supply store (usually sold at 12.5%). They are both the same chemical, sodium hypochlorite, just a different concentration. Make sure you buy the "original scent", none of that fancy stuff which additives, etc.

There is a link someone posted about how to read the cya test, not sure where to tell you to find it... maybe someone can jump in.

Read through the pool school.. there is a mecca of valuable information there and the pool calculator is a must have.

Here it is...
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
softballer said:
I have a question about adding bleach. Do you test daily/add daily with the pool calc?

Yep, correct.

Since it is best to add bleach/liquid chlorine in the evening after the sun is off your pool, that is also a very good time to test & adjust back up to your target FC for your CYA level.

Some folks test/adjust every two days, which you could do, after you learn how your pool uses chlorine and you feel confident that it will not drop below the minimum FC for the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.