Start to Finish link for Intex Pool newbie?

May 31, 2011
Hi! We've never owned a pool before but we are going to purchase an Intex Ultra Frame pool. I'm wondering if there is a thread or link you can direct me to that shows step by step instructions, from leveling the ground to what needs to be purchased? Like literally a numbered shopping list of what I need to purchase to get the pool up and running, lol....I have time to shop this week and hubby will be ready to start leveling this weekend. It's 95 degrees at the moment and I really wished I would have started this process sooner! Oh well, next year I'll know :)

Also from what I've read the SWG looks like the way we'd like to go...or basically whatever is most user-friendly for pool newbies! Thinking the Intex SWG?

We are also trying to decide b/w the Intex 16x48 round or the Intex 18x9x52 rectangular. Are there any pros or cons to the different sizes or is it just a matter of personal taste and the amount of space you have? Also regarding the 52" depth...is that to the top of the pool or where the water line will hit? Our kids range in height from 48-51", of course I'd prefer for them to be able to touch the bottom.

Thank you so much for any help you can share with me!
greenie

I found a lot of videos on YouTube about leveling. But in search of a AGP for next spring I came across these videos. I have a intex 18' pool also for this summer but getting a hard side next spring but the same process is used to level and it is what we did for our intex and worked perfect. Once you get it leveled it is cake after that. The pool comes with a install DVD but doesn't go into leveling but for the install it will help you a lot. It's really easy anyways. Just have to make sure you're level.

http://www.poolsaboveground.com/pool-in ... lation.php

If you're going salt water IMO I would spend a little more and get the sand filter/SWG combo. The filter that comes with it is not all that great and you will find yourself cleaning or replacing the filter daily and your pool won't be crystal clear. It will keep it clear, but not crystal clear like you might want it.

Greenie,
Welcome to TFP!
You asked for a step by step. Here you go!
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" x 1/2 the width of your circle plus 6" ie 20' cirlcle 10' 6" board pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 2" styrofoam (the pink, yellow or blue stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL

From one newbie to another, my advice is to ask tons of questions.....we have had our pool up for a little over a week and believe me, I wish I could start all over. It seems there is more to caring for the pool than I realized...the SWG is supposed to be great, but it doesn't take care of everything all by itself....and none of the manuals that came with our pool told us to add anything other than salt.....so, keep asking because it seems we are a breath away from a very green pool....Good luck! There are lots of helpful people on here, but you have to ask the questions.....which I didn't do cause I didn't know what to ask!!! Go to the pool school link and read everything that you can.... if you don't understand, ask a question. It is much easier to figure all this out before you find yourself in a pickle!

Order the test kit (find info at the Pool School link) so you have it when you get the pool up and going! I also went ahead and ordered the magnetic stirrer (read the reviews of it on here first), and the salt test strips (which you will need, too!)

Also, get CYA (also known as stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid, different stores call it different things). There is a chart in the manual that comes with the SWG that shows how much you need to add at startup....we missed that because we didn't know what that was, the instructions didn't say to add it, there was just a column on the chart (in very small print) that reads "Cyanuric Acid needed at startup".

We have also stocked up on baking soda and 6% bleach....cause we are now trying to correct all of the things we messed up!

Hope I am not sounding negative....we absolutely have no regrets about our purchase...loving it (when we are able to get in....but we're working on learning all of this stuff!)...and the people on this forum are wonderful!

Thank you for your posts - that's exactly what I need! Since this is our first time owning a pool, I feel like I know nothing but I've been reading Pool School and it's a lifesaver! We're still working on leveling the ground, believe it or not. Our backyard is sloped so it's quite a process. Hoping to get that set by the end of the weekend.

I'm going to order the test kits and other supplies right now - thanks for the reminder!

Glad to hear you're enjoying your pool!

Take as long as you have to to level the ground.....ours really wasn't that sloped, but we are still off a little more than we should be....will fix that when we take the pool down at the end of the season. our first attempt ended in draining about 2000 gallons of water because the first liner had 2 leaks...so the idea of draining another 5000 gallons doesn't sit well! Like I said, we would be better off if we could start all over again. I would have read every article on here if I had found this site beforehand! I tend to go overboard with the research part and dh is exactly the opposite....we balance each other out!! :)

We actually thought we had the ground pretty level....used a 9 foot board and a 4 foot level.....sooooo we went ahead and mixed sand in with some dirt to make sure the low side wasn't low. I can't tell you how big a mistake it was to use that sand.....it has oozed out the low side. We won't be using sand again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.