You may notice a few changes...

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
As I have mentioned in a couple other threads, I am doing some work to optimize the site for search engine rankings.
Without going into detail, there are some things inherent with phpbb forums that prevent search bots from adequately indexing the site and finding all the content.

I'll know more soon, but I think that most of the changes will only effect guests, or users who are not logged in. The search engine spider bots are not logged in and crawl the site as guests. The mod I'm having done will eliminate a lot of non-essential information from the page for the guest view. The extra information, in terms of search engine rankings, reduces the value of the content on the page and can cause lower rankings.

However, if you log in, you should still have all the same features.

As a side note, whenever you start a new thread, please use descriptive subject lines. Not only will this give you better answers, but subject lines containing keywords yields better search rankings as well. For example, instead of having a subject like "help, me I don't know what to do..." you might use something like, "Help me with my mustard algae problem." This would be a far better choice as it would include the keywords mustard algae and would also let the reader know what issue you are having without having to get into the thread.

Thanks,
Sean

This may or may not have to do with the recent changes. I am not able to se the "go to last post" icon next to the name of the "last post"er on the "Forum Index" page. Also, I am not able to click on anyone's name to go to their profile like I've been able to in the past.

Not a big deal, as I rarely use either of those features, just thought I'd bring it up.

Yep, those are two of the changes. It's a small price, I think, to help ensure the site is more visible in search results.

FYI, to view someones profile, you can always click the "profile" button underneath any of their posts or you can click on the persons user-name at the bottom of the page when they are logged in. Of course, you now have to be logged in yourself in order to see who is online.

Basically, it's best to just log in whenever you visit the site for optimum usability. For anyone who may be reading this who is not yet a registered user, you can register for free by following the link at the top of the page.

OK, I just noticed that the "view last post" feature is still there, just in different form. You just click on the underlined date and time above the poster's name.

I agree Sean, very small price. No real inconvenience at all. If this helps get the word out for TFP, I'm all for it. Thanks for your diligence on this entire project! I know it's made my pool maintenance a lot easier; therefore, anyone who seeks it should be able to easily find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.