Is there a good ph meter?

mbar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2007
Ashland PA
My niece wants to do a science project to test the ph of soda. I was wondering if there is a good ph meter that will work for testing ph without having to match colors like in the test kits. Any ideas would be very welcome :)

There are lots of good meters. The thing to keep in mind is that a meter is only as good as it's calibration. You need reliable calibration references and you need to calibrate frequently. If you do that anything but the cheapest meter should work for you.

Although I have not used that paticluar model, I have used Hanna pH meters in my line of work (collecting and testing groundwater samples) and they were reliable. I do suggest you get at least the 7.0 pH buffer for calibration and either the 4.0 and 10.0 (whichever is closer to your sample, i.e 10.0 for pool water) to give you a 2-point reference calibration.

Having no personal experience but lot's of anecdotal info from the old PF, pH meters have been pretty much looked down on unless, as Jason said, you are comfortable with frequent calibration.

Again, I've never used one but I heard the "calibration" mantra often enough that it stuck with me

Thanks everyone for the input!!!

Thank you all for the quick replies! This site is really great :goodjob: , it is so nice to able to come and get advice that you can trust. I will pass this info onto my niece and sister. Thanks again :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.