Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a good ph meter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a good ph meter?

My niece wants to do a science project to test the ph of soda. I was wondering if there is a good ph meter that will work for testing ph without having to match colors like in the test kits. Any ideas would be very welcome
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    There are lots of good meters. The thing to keep in mind is that a meter is only as good as it's calibration. You need reliable calibration references and you need to calibrate frequently. If you do that anything but the cheapest meter should work for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Is there any that you recommend?

4. Back To Top    #4

I found this one that is fairly inexpensive:

http://www.professionalequipment.com/ha ... ph-meters/
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

5. Back To Top    #5
    Although I have not used that paticluar model, I have used Hanna pH meters in my line of work (collecting and testing groundwater samples) and they were reliable. I do suggest you get at least the 7.0 pH buffer for calibration and either the 4.0 and 10.0 (whichever is closer to your sample, i.e 10.0 for pool water) to give you a 2-point reference calibration.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6
    I like the Extech PH100. But I don't think the brand matters nearly as much as getting the calibration solutions and actually doing the calibration regularly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    For science projects, these guys have some cool stuff relatively cheap...
    http://www.vernier.com/products.html
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    Having no personal experience but lot's of anecdotal info from the old PF, pH meters have been pretty much looked down on unless, as Jason said, you are comfortable with frequent calibration.

Again, I've never used one but I heard the "calibration" mantra often enough that it stuck with me
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone for the input!!!

Thank you all for the quick replies! This site is really great , it is so nice to able to come and get advice that you can trust. I will pass this info onto my niece and sister. Thanks again