Jul 14, 2010
My pool looked great until yesterday. Yesterday it became cloudy. I have not checked the chemicals in a week or so, so I checked them this morning. There is no chlorine in the pool! I have a SWG which has been set on 25%. This is what we set it on last summer because the chlorine kept getting too high. Obviously it needs to be higher. Should I add bleach and then bump it up, or add bleach, run the super chlorinate feature, and then bump it up? It is also low on CYA. Should I get the chlorine up and then add CYA or go ahead and add the CYA now? My pool is 24,000 gallons.

Thanks for your help!!!

I would make sure I knew what the CYA level was and shock up to that level, use the pool calculator, and make sure I could hold the FC level overnight. Then I would add the cya. If you add the cya first, your shock level will be higher meaning adding a lot more chlorine. Using your swg to shock is not a great idea because they don't produce chlorine quickly enough and it's a lot of extra wear and tear on your cell.

Likely your swg isn't keeping up because you have low cya. Be sure after you add the cya that you don't backwash for 5-7 days because it takes awhile for it to fully dissolve in the water. You don't want to backwash it right back out.

No problem :)

Just make sure you get that chlorine level up and keep it there until the pool is clear and you maintain your free chlorine overnight. You will want to have .5 or less of the CC as well.

I would tend to use standard bleach (usually 6%) or pool store bleach (usually 12%) w/o any additives. Do check the percentage of active ingredient on the bottles to be sure you are getting the best value for your dollar. Now is a good time to do some shopping around to find out the best value around you because you will likely use a fair amount. Then you will know where to go again the next time you need to get some.

I added 6 96oz bottles of 6% bleach yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon the FC was 8 and no CC. This morning the FC is down to 4 and still no CC. What does it mean if I am losing FC? The CYA is 30, but I have not added more because I wanted to wait until the shocking process was completed. We also increased the SWG to 50%. The water is clear, but there is one patch of brown stuff. I think it is dirt and not mustard algae.

What now?

Yes, what he said. Find out what your cya level is and shock the pool to that level. Keep it there until you can hold that overnight. Then bump up your cya to where it should be for an swg... between 70-80.

The reason your swg was having trouble keeping up was because of your low levels of cya. The cya protects the chlorine from the sun, without cya it just disappears and you then prone to algae when the FC drops too low.

Great advice, so far :goodjob: The key to a trouble free pool is consistent and reliable water testing done by none other than yourself with a quality drop based test kit. If you do not already have one you should consider investing in one, such as the TF100 or the Taylor K2006. Re-read Pool School and finish the shock process as advised above. Once you are done shocking, use the test kit to make sure you water chemistry is in lince with the suggested levels in pool school.

Having a SWG is awesome from a standpoint of automating chlorine dosing, but it is not a "set it and forget it" type device...you still have to keep checking your chemistry :wink:

The FC went down from 15 to 8 overnight last night so I added more bleach this morning. I have 30 CYA and that is not listed on the chart for SWG (probably because I should not have let it get that low), so I have been trying to shock up to 12 FC or a little higher according to the other chart. Is that high enough? Am I just being too impatient?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.