Jun 6, 2011
Hi,

I do not have the following information:
FC - Free Chlorine
CC or TC - Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer/conditioner)

Just bought a house that has a pool. I was told the previous owners opened the pool yearly. However, it does not appear to be the case. When I uncovered the pool is was dark green, so I added shock and the water is a ligher green. Although the water is not clear, I removed a lot of the debris using a vacuum. When I tried to use the pump to filter the pool it was determined that I needed a new pump. Now that I replaced the pump, it does not recieve any pressure and nothing happens when I try the backwash. My first attempt did produce some reaction, but it only worked for a few minutes. Even then, when I put the pump on filter there was only activity on one end of the pool and not the other. I am not sure what is at the bottom of the pool because I am unable to see that far down with the water being unclear, but I'm sure most of the debris is gone.

PLEASE HELP!

There may be a leak that is letting air in, allowing the pump to drain and lose prime.

You normally prime the pump by filling the pump strainer basket with water, closing the lid on the pump strainer basket, and turning the pump on again. It should start pumping strongly within anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. If it isn't pumping strongly in 2 minutes, turn the pump off and try again.

Have you emptied the pump strainer basket and the skimmer basket? Check that any valves are in the open position. If you can post a picture of the equipment that could help us figure things out.

My first thought would be making sure all of your valves are open. A picture of the pump area would help. If you have the typical red handled ball valves. Be sure the valve handles are parallel to the pipe. That is the open position. That may be of no use if you don't those kind of valves. Just stating what I see most often. Also make sure that all of your winterizing plugs have been removed in the strainer area, all of your return caps are removed at the nozzles are installed and that your pumps have all of the drain holes plugged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
when we fill the strainer with water and turn the pump on, the water gets sucked into the filter but no water comes in from the pool and when we tryed turning the valve to the different directions no water had come in from either direction

I recently bought a house with a pool with (2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, water fall, vacuum return and 2 return ports, and not one pipe labeled at the pump), so I feel your pain... did you remove the rubber winterizing plugs from the bottom of the skimmers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.