Does it come with a muffler?!

May 31, 2011
Ok so I think I got my pool all nice and going now. After about two weeks my pool is crystal clear. Everything seems to be working.

The pump sounds insanely loud though. Is it supposed to be that loud? Are the bearings going out or something? This is my first pool BTW, and it was a real fixer upper at that. So I don't really know how a normal pool is supposed to sound.

EDIT: While I'm hear I might as well ask about the chemicals... all I've been told on how to manage my pool is to throw a couple scoops of that Power Powder Pro stuff from Leslie's pool. But it seems reading through all the posts it's supposed to be more complicated than this. I have the little test strips and everything seems alright. Since I've got the pool that's all I've been using to shock and clean the pool swamp up. I also have this algae preventer stuff you pour a little cup in once a week. That's it. What in your peoples expert opinion on this? I got this from someone who has a pool and this is all she does but... everyone is talking about all these chemicals and balances and stuff. I'm starting to know if I'm doing it right.

Post the water test results you do have and we can comment on your chemical levels.

It is difficult to describe how something should sound. You should be able to talk over it even when you are right next to it, without yelling, but someone close to the pump probably won't be able to hear someone ten feet away without yelling. Quieter than a lawn mower, but still obvious even through a wall. Something like that anyway.

My pump is fairly loud, then again it's 2 horse, several people have told me it's over sized for my pool but it's what came with my pool. For reference, I can hear it from my neighbor's house but it's not obnoxious. Regarding pool store chems, most people here use the BBB method which in summary is using bleach, borax and baking soda to maintain your pool. Other chems are needed here and there but more importantly the concept is to use a good test kit (see the tf100 in my sig) and understanding what those test results mean and what to do with them instead of throwing in shock packs and hoping for the best.

To learn about the BBB method, please see the pool school link in my sig.

Ah... ok so I went back and checked the pool... here's what my readings are:

FC.. 0 (it was between 0.5 and 1 the other day)
PH.. 7.8
TA.. 40
Stablizer... 0

And that's all my little test strips tell me... the person who said all I needed was the Powder Power Pro or whatever its called just seemed to care about the PH level as long as everything else was good or low. She just throws a scoop or two a week or when it looks like it needs it and that PhosFree stuff. So that's what I've been doing. It looks nice at least except now that it's crystal clear you can see all the dirt on the bottom so I've been kicking that around with the brush to get it through the filter...

Oh and yeah you definitely wouldn't be able to stand next to that pump and talk to someone without yelling over it. I was on the phone near the pool a good 30 feet from the pump and I couldn't hardly hear what the person on the other end was saying...

BluePlastic said:
Ah... ok so I went back and checked the pool... here's what my readings are:

FC.. 0 (it was between 0.5 and 1 the other day)
PH.. 7.8
TA.. 40
Stablizer... 0

And that's all my little test strips tell me... the person who said all I needed was the Powder Power Pro or whatever its called just seemed to care about the PH level as long as everything else was good or low. She just throws a scoop or two a week or when it looks like it needs it and that PhosFree stuff. So that's what I've been doing. It looks nice at least except now that it's crystal clear you can see all the dirt on the bottom so I've been kicking that around with the brush to get it through the filter...

Oh and yeah you definitely wouldn't be able to stand next to that pump and talk to someone without yelling over it. I was on the phone near the pool a good 30 feet from the pump and I couldn't hardly hear what the person on the other end was saying...

How old is the pump? Can you post a pic? (Use Photobucket.com)

Strips are useless. See recommended levels in Pool School, and read the other articles there, and get yourself one of the recommended test kits. :wink:

Nothing is that simple - especially not pool care. If "all she does" is throw in a scoop or two - ask her how often she "shocks" the pool. :hammer:

Phosfree is nothing more than a money making gimmick for the pool store to profit from :rant: . Phospates are irrelevant provided you maintain the proper FC level according to your CYA level. :goodjob:

Hope this helps :wave:

Thanks soooo much. The links are so helpful. I should just came here first and dug around here first. I can't believe the response time on this forum either. Nice :)

Now... off to buy some bleach... seriously I didn't know you could do pool care with this stuff and it sounds so much cheaper. I'm gonna have to go back after I get this all down and school her a bit lol.

Oh and I'll take a picture tomorrow, it's too dark. I'm not sure how old it is. It came with the house (which I just got two weeks ago). It was a shortsale and so I was given virtually no info on the pool. My other friend (not the one who told me how to take care of it) said the pump wasn't that old though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.