OH my i need help !! New pool,first fill, well water, etc

I agree with using the flocculant. You will need to put it into the pool and wait about 48 hours to let it all settle. You can purchase your pool vacuum head in the meantime :) . I would check online, you can get anything fast and you can check the prices. Your pool is really gorgeous!! Your water will be cleared up soon - just have some patience, and do it in the right way so you will have less problems later. The floccuant will bind with all the suspended particles and make them heavy so that they can fall to the bottom of the pool. You want to keep the filter off for 48 hours to ake sure it all falls :roll: Then you vacuum really slowly to get it into the filter and backwash out. You want to vacuum slowly so that you don't stir it up again. You can alos then put skimmer socks on the skimmer basket. You can get these online too :wink: Check out poolgeek.com, as you get a discount for belonging to this forum! I really love your pool!

Based on what I have read here and PF, I thought that the PB usually included balancing your water and teaching you how to take care of your pool before they left?...and as Dave said, included the vac hose, head & pole. :?

Just wondering what others here think about this, too. Good luck.

btw, I agree w/RT about Lowes & HomeDepot. Ours rarely have much to offer, but Wally World comes thru during the 'season'.

Joyce

mbar said:
I agree with using the flocculant. You will need to put it into the pool and wait about 48 hours to let it all settle. You can purchase your pool vacuum head in the meantime :) . I would check online, you can get anything fast and you can check the prices. Your pool is really gorgeous!! Your water will be cleared up soon - just have some patience, and do it in the right way so you will have less problems later. The floccuant will bind with all the suspended particles and make them heavy so that they can fall to the bottom of the pool. You want to keep the filter off for 48 hours to ake sure it all falls :roll: Then you vacuum really slowly to get it into the filter and backwash out. You want to vacuum slowly so that you don't stir it up again. You can alos then put skimmer socks on the skimmer basket. You can get these online too :wink: Check out poolgeek.com, as you get a discount for belonging to this forum! I really love your pool!

Ok so let me get this right, once i put this floculant in the pool i should turn the filters off and just run the pump so it mixes with the water ? or should i just turn everything off and let it do its job by itself ? also i have a waste thing on my filter, should i vaccumm it to waste OR vaccum it to the filter and then backwash ? im going to fill the pool using my house bibs which have a filter and watersoftner so it will be clean water i replace it with. And thanks, ya i think it really turned out nice, it would be nice to see the blue pepple look i paid for and the mosaics that are somewhere lost under all this crud then you will really like the looks of the pool :)

There will be specific instructions with the flocculant, but basically you add it with the pump running, leave the pump running for something like an hour to get it mixed into the pool water, and then turn off the pump overnight, or for two days, and then vacuum up everything that settles to the bottom. If at all possible you should vacuum to waste as the return may stir up the stuff that has settled to the bottom. However vacuuming to waste can lower the water level dramatically, so it may not always be practical to vacuum the entire pool to waste.

Ok so today the pb and i vaccumed to waste the pool but it wasnt picking up everything because after back washing it was a little dirty but not as much as you would think,after going over and over it and my water level getting pretty low i disconneted the hose and ran the brush over and you could see the orange cloud still, so i have the filter running again and the pb put some calcium hardness and stabalizer in it and said to let it keep filtering all night etc and he would come back again tomorrow and see what its looking like. I am soo stressed out wiht this whole process and sooo wanting to drain it and try starting over again but water truck and waters not the cheapest around here, plus who knows i might end up like the last time ? Any comforting words ? haha it does seem like its gone more from reddish brown to ligther brown, green. Also he said the phosphate level was WAY HIGH off the hook ?

Tillys, ...from reddish brown to lighter brown to green sounds like it is getting better :) ! Phosphate level? What is it? Not that I would know, but those that can help will be here really soon to help! Hang in there, it will clear soon!

Just relax and remember the POP! :)

Post pix when all clears!....which it will. :wink:

Joyce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i wanna say the he said 2500 ? the phosfate level or howerever you spell it. Gosh i hope it does, the worse part is its a brand new pool and i dont wanna pay for the plaster guys til i can see that they didnt mess it up or ill prob never get em back out here again :( and i cant do that because i cant even see the floor in the 3ft level

Don't worry about phosphates. It sounds like you are making progress. If you could post a whole set of numbers it would be helpful. How long did you let the pool water stand when you used the floc? You do need to have some pool owners patience (POP). I know it is frustrating, but sometimes it takes a while to get everything balanced. I would give it more time before you drain and pay a bunch for refilling. Please take a water sample to the pool store, or better yet get yourself a good test kit like the one sold on this web site. It will much better to be able to test your water on your own anytime you need to. We need the numbers as follows:
Free Chlorine
Combined Chlorine
Total Chlorine
PH
Alkalinity
Calcium
Cya (Cyanuric acid, also known as stabalizer)

We will be able to advise you better when we know the balance of the water, and what chemicals have been used in the water so far.

Don't get discouraged :)

Those numbers look good. You want to try and keep a little more chlorine in the pool, aim to keep FC at 2 or above at all times if at all possible. Everything else looks good given that you have fresh plaster.

Its still not much different i dont think , ill take a pic and post it tomorrow and maybe i will be able to see a dif from my first pic since im looking at it (and cussing it ) all the time lol , anyways thanks for all the input so far you guys and gals , ill post em first thing tomorrow :)

Tilly,

Well, I'm late to this dance and may have missed something but:

1. Where is your PB? Why did he leave you with water like that?

2. You have posted inadequate chlorine levels twice....very inadequate. The pictures you posted look like algae to me. Have you shocked the pool since it's been opened?

duraleigh said:
Tilly,

Well, I'm late to this dance and may have missed something but:

1. Where is your PB? Why did he leave you with water like that?

2. You have posted inadequate chlorine levels twice....very inadequate. The pictures you posted look like algae to me. Have you shocked the pool since it's been opened?

PB is lucky to come when he says hes going to so i figured i better take matters into my own hands and besides i was responsible for getting the pool filled, that was part of the contract since he doesnt have access to a water truck (of course the first time i filled it was with well water and that didnt work out so well either)and i do , anyways after filling hte pool it was real cloudy and green like , from the well water, and he shocked it ,well from what ive learned there is alot of metals etc in well water and it had an adverse effect with the shock and turned the pool brown , which is why and where im at now :( but i think its getting better, i put some clear guard (filter helper) in today and its the first time my sandfilter pressure has went up the required ten lbs that tells me to backwash it ,so ive got the navigator sucking the bottom,the filter with the filter guard going and im hoping things are starting to change, ill take pics tomorrow and show everywone and see what and where to go from there :)

How much sequestering agent did you put in? I would like to see you do another dose of it before you start to shock. The water is clearing now - I can see it on the pictures, but I can't tell if it is just dirty water, or still precipitating metals, coloring the water. I think if you add the dose of Jack's Magic again, and keep the filter running 24/7, and take the chlorine up to 15ppms, using regular bleach, the water should continue to clear. Use the filter helper again, and then backwash. It may just take a couple of days to a week to filter out the crud. Keep the chlorine at shock until it holds overnight - it will be used up breaking down all of the stuff in water. The sequestering agent will not hurt - it will just use up some chorine, but your pool surface will be protected from getting stained.

So, this is what I would do
1. Put in another dose of sequestering agent
2. Add bleach to take the chlorine up to 15ppms
3. Add filter aid
4. Keep filter running 24/7
5. Backwash filter 24 hours after adding more filter aid, even if the pressure doesn't go up all the way
6. Add filter aid after you backwash
7. Every time the chlorine gets under 15ppms add more bleach till the chorine holds overnight

The more consistent you are with testing and keeping the chorine at shock, the faster the water will clear. I would suggest you get your own test kit - this way you can keep an eye on your chemicals. Read the stickies - they have a wealth of info, and ask any questions you have here on the board - I know it's hard, but relax Your water will be fine soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.